☁︎︎ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝟙𝟝: 𝔻𝕚𝕤𝕤𝕖𝕔𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟☁︎︎

𝕐/ℕ'𝕤 ℙ𝕆𝕍:
As I reached the bottom of the stairs, I watched William's head quickly twist in my direction. His eyes filled with terror as he hastily threw a tarp over something but it was too late, I already saw who was there. Will swiftly went over to me, trying to do damage control.
"Darling, what are you doing here? I told you I had construction to attend to, it's too dangerous down here for you."
"How are you and Jake working on construction without tools?"
He froze for a moment, realizing I had seen Jake tied up and bound. I could feel the other members staring at us, and I knew he could too.
"Look, can we just go talk about this in my office? I can explain."
I sighed and reluctantly nodded, heading upstairs with him.

We headed into his office, locked the door, and took a seat before we began discussing the Jake situation.
"Why the hell do you have Jake tied up?! I know that he can be arrogant and a bit of a slacker, but you can't just hold him captive!"
"That's not the reason we're holding him here y/n.. He threatened to expose our organization to the police if I didn't offer him a position of power. I didn't feel as if blackmailing our group was a good way of earning a larger title and I couldn't risk him destroying everything we've worked towards!"
His voiced filled with a sense of disgust and urgency, allowing me to see the trouble we're in. I've never seen him this agitated before, usually he's able to keep a calm composure.
"Then what can we do? We can't just keep him held hostage forever and there's no way we can just let him go."

We both sat in silence for a bit trying to think of a solution but there is no simple way out of this. Finally, I spoke up.
"I can't believe I'm considering this, but couldn't we kill him like we did with the last guy?
"We could, but it would only bring attention to my unfavorable violent habits. It would be useful for the remnant experiment, although it would be a risky move for our images."
He has a strong point, we can't just kill anyone we want without expecting repercussions of some kind; we were lucky to get away with the first incident. I continued thinking about the situation for a few more minutes, but I just couldn't think of anything else.
"Speaking of the remnant project, I wasn't aware that I'd be dissecting a corpse. I'll do it, don't get me wrong, but I'm a bit shocked that you didn't mention it to me.."
Will's eyes widened and he facepalmed, looking up at me in embarrassment.
"You're right, I should've told you about what the job entails. I was so caught up with the Jake situation that it slipped my mind. I'm sorry dear, I didn't mean to throw you in blindly like that."
"It's alright, I can only imagine the stress you were putting yourself through. Although as your second in command I'd appreciate if you told me about stuff like this since it concerns me as well."
He smirked and leaned across the desk, pulling me in closer by the collar of my sweater until I was inches away from his face.
"You only consider yourself as my second in command? Nothing else?"
My face glowed red as I tried to grasp the situation I was in, looking him in the eyes.
"I-I.. well.. what do you see me as?"
"As my lover~ ♥︎ Is that alright with you?"
I nodded, still a bit too flustered to speak without stuttering. He smiled at my answer and placed a soft kiss on my lips, before pulling away to ask another question.
"Why did you head into the basement in the first place? Did you miss me bunny?" He chuckled, releasing my collar and sitting back in his chair.
"I came down to look for tools for the dissection, although I'll admit that I missed you as well."
"Oh! I guess that makes sense. I can get you whichever tools you need from the supply closet and you can start today if you'd like. I'll most likely spend the rest of the day weighing my options about what to do with Jake."
His tone seemed more joyful and relaxed, even though he had a large decision in front of him. I agreed to get the tools with him and returned to the workshop where the remnant project was being held.

Everyone's attention was drawn to the doorway as me and William brought in some necessary equipment for the procedure. Many of the members looked surprised and even shocked at the sight of Will, which was a bit puzzling to me. Oliver was the first person to stand up after the items had been placed on the counter, eager to speak with Will.
"Is that you Mr. Afton?? My apologies for the bold question but I don't believe we've ever met, and I've never seen a vessel before. I'm Oliver!"
Will grinned, turning towards Oliver as I organized the different tools.
"It is! It's nice to finally meet you Oliver, y/n was just telling me wonderful things about you on the way here. You've done some impressive work on this project!"
Huh, I never spoke about Oliver to Will.. I guess embellishing the truth is a good way of keeping up your image. I glanced over at the two of them, seeing Oliver with the biggest grin on his face.
"She did?? That's quite sweet of her, although I can't take all of the credit since we all work hard in our own ways."
They continued to chat about the project for a bit longer, until I took the tarp off of the corpse, exposing it to the room. William turned back towards me to get a better look with a slight smile on his face, although I couldn't blame him for the weird gesture since this project dealt with his lifetime of work.
"It looks like you guys are ready! I'm excited to hear about the results of the first attempt, so please keep me updated."
He bent down a little and kissed me on the cheek, with the group watching in shock. Although Will is a professional leader, I've noticed that he tends to enjoy having all eyes on him. After standing back up, he started to head towards the door before asking one final question.
"We're still having lunch together right?"
"Of course! I'm not sure if I'll have the best appetite after this though.." I glanced at the corpse and felt my appetite dissipate within mere seconds. Will chuckled and waved goodbye to everyone before closing the door behind him.

I began to mark where I'd need to make incisions with a sharpie, checking with Oliver to make sure that everything I was doing was correct. We need to remove the brain, heart, and tongue in order to extract the remnant properly. I gulped, feeling my heart sink as I realized that there wasn't a chance to turn back now. I equipped myself with a surgical mask, gloves, goggles, and an apron to keep myself relatively clean.

As I went through with the removal of each part, Oliver explained their significance to me. From what I've gathered, the tongue represents a person's voice & form of self expression, the heart represents a person's passions & morals, and the brain represents a person's knowledge & personal perspective of the world. By having each one, we're able to gather remnant of what once made this corpse alive. The procedure was painstakingly long, with my gloves and apron becoming full of crimson splatters.

Once it was finally complete, Oliver led me over to a machine with a capsule to place the parts into. After turning it on, the lights inside flashed between purple and black, before expelling a glowing purple liquid into a test tube at the bottom of the device. I let out a sigh of relief, realizing that the hours of deliberation had paid off. Suddenly, Oliver hugged me tightly, getting blood all over himself.
"O-Oliver! Your clothes!!" I blurted out frantically.
"You think I care about my clothing right now y/n?? We completed a crucial part of the project on our first try!! You're a miracle worker."
I blushed, not expecting such amounts of praise.
"It was a team effort! Without your research and expertise, I wouldn't have been able to navigate this project."
He let go, still smiling with me.
"It's no wonder you're his partner, you have incredible resilience and abilities."
Before I could respond, I felt someone behind me, with their hand on my shoulder.
"She's talented isn't she?" William spoke, looking down at me.
"I-It's no big deal!! But I appreciate your support." I gushed before removing all of my surgical gear. Once again, Will and Oliver spoke as I began to wash off any remaining filth from my body. The rest of the group started cleaning up the workshop, making sure to remain efficient while under Will's supervision. Once I finished cleaning myself up, I said my goodbyes to the group and walked out to my car with William.

"Great work bunny! I was honestly worried that the corpse would be too old to collect remnant from, but somehow you made it work. How are you feeling?"
"I feel a bit lightheaded but other than that I feel fine. Does the age of the corpse correlate with the amount of remnant we can extract?"
"It does, since remnant gradually diminishes after death."
"Does that mean you don't contain remnant?"
"Believe it or not I do. The computer program I was kept in was a vessel for my remaining remnant. As long as remnant has a vessel of some sort, it won't decay."
"That's really intriguing. I think I'm going to enjoy this new project!!"
Will leaned over and kissed my forehead.
"I know you will."

𝙰𝚞𝚝𝚑𝚘𝚛'𝚜 𝙽𝚘𝚝𝚎 & 𝚄𝚙𝚍𝚊𝚝𝚎 (𝙿𝚕𝚎𝚊𝚜𝚎 𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚍):
𝙷𝚒 𝚐𝚞𝚢𝚜, 𝙸 𝚠𝚊𝚗𝚝 𝚝𝚘 𝚜𝚝𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝚘𝚏𝚏 𝚋𝚢 𝚜𝚊𝚢𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚗𝚔 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚏𝚘𝚛 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚒𝚗𝚌𝚛𝚎𝚍𝚒𝚋𝚕𝚎 𝚊𝚖𝚘𝚞𝚗𝚝 𝚘𝚏 𝚜𝚞𝚙𝚙𝚘𝚛𝚝 𝚕𝚊𝚝𝚎𝚕𝚢! 𝙸𝚝 𝚖𝚊𝚔𝚎𝚜 𝚖𝚎 𝚜𝚖𝚒𝚕𝚎 𝚜𝚎𝚎𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚊𝚕𝚕 𝚘𝚏 𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚜𝚠𝚎𝚎𝚝 𝚌𝚘𝚖𝚖𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚜 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝙸'𝚖 𝚐𝚕𝚊𝚍 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚐𝚞𝚢𝚜 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚎𝚗𝚓𝚘𝚢𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚜𝚝𝚘𝚛𝚢 𝚜𝚘 𝚏𝚊𝚛. 𝙸 𝚊𝚙𝚘𝚕𝚘𝚐𝚒𝚣𝚎 𝚒𝚏 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚠𝚊𝚜𝚗'𝚝 𝚜𝚞𝚙𝚎𝚛 𝚛𝚘𝚖𝚊𝚗𝚝𝚒𝚌, 𝙸 𝚠𝚊𝚗𝚝𝚎𝚍 𝚝𝚘 𝚋𝚞𝚒𝚕𝚍 𝚞𝚙 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚙𝚕𝚘𝚝 𝚊 𝚋𝚒𝚝 𝚖𝚘𝚛𝚎. 𝙳𝚘𝚗'𝚝 𝚠𝚘𝚛𝚛𝚢 𝚝𝚑𝚘𝚞𝚐𝚑, 𝙸 𝚙𝚕𝚊𝚗 𝚘𝚗 𝚖𝚊𝚔𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚞𝚙 𝚏𝚘𝚛 𝚒𝚝 𝚗𝚎𝚡𝚝 𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛. 𝙾𝚗 𝚊𝚗𝚘𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛 𝚗𝚘𝚝𝚎, 𝙸'𝚖 𝚌𝚘𝚗𝚜𝚒𝚍𝚎𝚛𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚖𝚊𝚔𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚊 𝚛𝚘𝚕𝚎𝚙𝚕𝚊𝚢 𝚜𝚎𝚛𝚟𝚎𝚛 𝚋𝚊𝚜𝚎𝚍 𝚘𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝙰𝚄 𝚠𝚑𝚎𝚛𝚎 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚌𝚊𝚗 𝚖𝚊𝚔𝚎 𝙾𝙲'𝚜 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚋𝚎𝚕𝚘𝚗𝚐 𝚝𝚘 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚘𝚛𝚐𝚊𝚗𝚒𝚣𝚊𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚠𝚘𝚛𝚔 𝚘𝚗 𝚍𝚒𝚏𝚏𝚎𝚛𝚎𝚗𝚝 𝚙𝚛𝚘𝚓𝚎𝚌𝚝𝚜. 𝙻𝚎𝚝 𝚖𝚎 𝚔𝚗𝚘𝚠 𝚠𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚐𝚞𝚢𝚜 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚔 𝚊𝚋𝚘𝚞𝚝 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚜, 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚑𝚊𝚟𝚎 𝚊 𝚠𝚘𝚗𝚍𝚎𝚛𝚏𝚞𝚕 𝚗𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝 𝚊𝚜 𝚊𝚕𝚠𝚊𝚢𝚜!! ☻︎♥︎♥︎