Chapter 13

Callie’s POV

I spent the week thinking about what Draco said. Because of the bond that I felt between us, I felt so empty and lonely when he wasn’t around. I was hiding in Dad’s library when I heard him speaking to someone softly. Normally I wouldn’t dream of ease dropping, but when I heard my name, I decided to stick around.

“We got there too late. He was dead by the time we found him and the bodies of the hunters. The boy fought well Draco, but he lost too much blood to survive.”

“He was fighting to protect his pack, you and Callie. He loved her greatly. Anyone could see it.” I heard my dad sigh softly and I held my breath. “I don’t know how I’m going to tell her. They had grown close in the small amount of time they knew each other. But every time I go to tell her that he’s not coming back and his last words, I freeze up.”

“Would you like me to tell her Matthias? I have a feeling she’s not going to accept our bond, so it might be easier if it came from me.”

“Thanks, but no thanks Draco. This is something I must tell her myself. And don’t give up so easily. Callie always took her sweet time thinking things over. You’ll have your answer before you leave Saturday.” They fell silent and I thought they were finished talking. I went to leave when Draco spoke up.

“How did Ryan’s father take the news of his death?”

“Like any father would…” I couldn’t hear anything else. Ryan was dead. And they didn’t tell me. Forgetting that they were within hearing range, I dropped the book in my hand and bolted out of the room. I flew out of the house with no destination in mind.

I knew Draco would feel my emotions but at that moment, I forgot everything. I finally collapsed under a willow tree and pulled my knees tightly against my chest. I buried my head in my arms and let the tears fall. An hour slipped by and I had cried myself out. Draco and my father were calling me through our links, but I ignored them. I wanted to be alone.

Suddenly, I felt someone beside me and I knew that it was Draco. He didn’t speak, but just pulled me into his lap and held me tightly. Draco started to slowly rub my back while he hummed a sweet yet sad tune almost too soft for me to hear. I found my eyes starting to droop as I laid my head on his chest.

Draco’s POV

I knew that Callie was close, but I couldn’t tell where exactly. As Matthias was talking, I thought I saw a shadow pass over the library window, but when I looked again, it was gone. Suddenly, wave after wave of hurt, sadness and disappointment hit me. I knew that it was from Callie.

Looking my friend in the eye, I spoke. “She knows Matthias. She knows.” He paled and headed for her room. I went to follow him when I saw a book lying in the hallway. Picking it up, I noticed that the library door stood open. Guilt hit me. That shadow had been Callie, I was sure of it.

I tried again and again calling through our bond, but she didn’t answer. As I walked out of the house I let my senses explore around me. Closing my eyes, I let them guide me. It took a while for me to find her and when I did; my heart broke at the sight of her.

Within seconds I was beside her, lifting her gently and setting her in my lap. I didn’t say a word as I held her. As much as it killed me that the boy’s death hurt my mate, my beautiful Callie, all I could do was comfort her. For an hour I held her, humming a lullaby that my own mother used to sing to me when I was but a small boy.

It didn’t take long before she was asleep. In a blink of an eye, I was on my feet and moving towards the house. Matthias stumbled upon us, worry etched into his face. When he saw that I held Callie in my arms, I could see his body sag in relief. “Is…Is she alright?”