Chapter 11

New Beginnings

Draco’s POV

When Callie told her father she would do the ceremony, his whole face lite up. “I just want you and Mr. Vince in the room with me though.” I watched as a look of hurt flash across the boy’s face and that’s when it hit me. He was in love with Callie. Her father and I followed her to her room. She sat on her bed but kept her eyes on her hands.

I stood beside her and waited. Once the sun finally set, I knew that it wouldn’t be long. A sharp gasp from Callie proved me right as she clutched her chest. “He...He hasn’t marked her yet. They…They’re mating.” Suddenly her eyes glaze over and I realize that she’s talking to him.  

Suddenly she screamed and I had my cue. Sinking my teeth into her neck where her mate would have marked her, I release just enough venom into her blood. Another scream found its way from her lips and this time, I felt a small portion of her pain as the mate bond began to form between us. The pain this time, however, came from my venom speeding through her veins.

Her eyes began to flutter shut and she fell backwards onto her bed. Locking eyes with Matthias, I speak. “We can only wait now my friend.” I take a seat right beside her and watch. One of the many advantages that I have come to enjoy that came with being a vampire, was that we could go very long periods of time without sleep.

I knew a vamp once that last four months without sleep, but he looked like death by the time he finally caved and slept. I kept my eyes trained on her, alert for even the smallest of changes in her.

Matthias’s POV

I watched as Callie’s chest rose and fell slowly, but in a steady pattern. I remembered from the stories I’ve heard of a Transfer that there was a small chance that the ceremony could kill her, but I was praying that this one wouldn’t come to pass. I needed her to live.

Standing up, I look over at Draco. “I have to stretch my legs for a bit.” I say softly as I walk towards the door. With my hand on the doorknob, I turn and look at my friend. “Draco.” I say so he’d look at me. I wait until his eyes meet mine. “If she chooses to keep the bond between the two of you, I won’t object. But know that if you hurt her in anyway, I’ll personally kill you.”

He gave me a slow smile before turning back to Callie. “I wouldn’t have it any other way Matthias. I won’t make her choose; it’s all up to her.” Shutting the door gently behind me, I make my way to my bedroom and sit on the foot of my bed. I knew that I would have to tell Angel that Callie was with me, and what happened. But I was going to wait until I knew if this worked or not.

Callie’s POV

        As I sat on my bed, I heard Cherry whimper. If this doesn’t work, I just want you to know that for the short while we had together, I am glad the Goddess gave me to you Callie.

        Even after everything that’s happened.

        Even after everything. She chuckled and then drew to the back of my mind. As the pain in my chest grew, I decided that Thane should at least know that it was I who was his mate. If this “solution” worked or failed, I wanted him to know that it was me he sentenced to death.

        Thane? I ask, the bond just to the breaking point. What is it now?

        My name is Callie Malloy, and I was your mate… I say just as the bond breaks and a pain like I’ve never known explodes in my neck. I felt Draco’s teeth break through the skin and felt a hot, searing liquid race through my veins. I suddenly become very dizzy and notice that it was growing darker until I fall backwards into the abyss of the night.

Thane’s POV

        My teeth were just inches from Rose’s neck when I heard her voice inside my head. I had to admit that she was a persistent little thing, but there was nothing she could say that would make me change my decisions.

        Thane?

        What is it now?

        My name is Callie Malloy, and I was your mate… The rest of her message was lost as I felt the bond break. I was so shocked and surprised that I clamped down harder that I needed to on Rose’s shoulder. My teeth sank deep into her neck, marking her as mine for the rest of our lives.

        I laid there to stun to move. Sweet, innocent little Callie was my mate? I suddenly realized why I didn’t know when I first met her; she had no scent due to the pills she had to take while with the hunters.

        As I lay there in the darkness, every word she spoke to me came flooding to the front of my mind. “Cowards don’t put those they love before themselves, mate. Cowards only care about what they can do and get for number one and no one else. The day I found out you were my mate was the day I also found out I was a werewolf. I knew you were engaged to Rose: I even seen the two of you together often and I knew that I couldn’t compete for the love that was already hers.

        "I knew what was coming if I stayed silent, but I love you enough to want you to be happy. Even if that means it’s with someone else and not with me. If I was a coward Thane, I would have tried to come between you and Rose. But that’s not who I am. I would rather suffer in silence than come between two people.”

        “She loved you too you know? The only thing that kept her sane was the thoughts of seeing her family and you again.”

        “I found a way to keep from dying when you mark Rose. But I’m not sure if it will work. But if it does, you’ll feel the bond being pulled from your soul and wolf. I just wanted to give you a head’s up.” As her words played over and over again, I kept kicking myself from missing the obvious clues that had been all around me.

        But one phrase stood out from the rest. “I found a way to keep from dying when you mark Rose. I found a way…” I knew what I had to do, and I dreaded it with every fiber in my being.

        Mrs. G was already disappointed in me, but when she found this out, she would hate me. “I’m sorry Callie for missing the clues. I’m sorry for what I’ve put you through.” I whisper into the night as I drift to a restless sleep.