Chapter 3

Callie’s POV

Running Away

Monday came around after a very long and upsetting weekend. I was starting to like Trent a little more, but Mom was spending almost all of her time with him. It hurt me deeply, but I didn’t show it. I woke up on Monday about 6 only to find the house empty and a note on the counter for me from Mom.

Callie,

            Trent and I had to go to Thane’s house for an emergency meeting. We’ll be home about noon. You’re breakfast is in the microwave if you’re hungry. And there’s a pizza in the fridge. We’ll be home soon.

                                                                                                            Love,

                                                                                                            Mom

I just stared at the letter and laid it back on the counter. We can’t stay here Cherry.

I know little one. We have a week left. What do you want to do?

Could you put a rush on tracking our father down? I’d like to meet him once before we die. And I was thinking of going back to find the guys. At least they cared for me even though they were trying to kill you.

When will we leave Callie?

Today, while they’re gone. I don’t have a scent anyway so it’ll be harder to find me. I could feel sadness rolling off of her but I knew that she agreed with me. I couldn’t bring myself to tear Thane and Rose apart, and it wasn’t in me to stay here and die while he was happy.

With the decision made, I rushed to my room and found a large bag. I quickly packed it with enough clothes to last me a week or so, seeing as how I wouldn’t need anything after that. I knew that with my fiery red hair and violet eyes, I would be easily recognized if that called in other packs to find me. So I dug out one of mom’s old scarves and grabbed a pair of colored contact lens.

I wanted to go with blue, but since it was rather a close color to my own, I went with black. Stuffing some cash into my pocket, I quickly leave my room and step into the kitchen. Taking Mom’s note and slipping it into my back pocket, I quickly pull a piece of paper off the tablet on the fridge.

Dear Mom and Trent,

            I’m sorry that I’m not here when you return, but I have to go. I wish that I could have stayed longer and gotten to know both of you again, but time just isn’t on my side it would seem. I’m sorry for leaving like this, but it’ll be easier on everyone if I just vanish. Mom, I want you to know that I’ll always love you. And even as I write this to you, what’s left of my heart is breaking. I won’t be back.

                                                                                                            Love,

                                                                                                              Callie

P.S. Already knew that I caught my mate’s scent last week when we went to go get Trent from Thane’s house. And I said that I wanted to wait until I met to pack to find him. But I found him by accident that day. He would never choose me Mom, this I know for a fact. His heart belongs fully to another, and it’s not my nature to tear people apart. Good bye.

Tears were streaming down my face as I laid the note where Mom’s once sat on the counter. Picking up my bag, I head out the door and started running towards the North. I recalled every mile of the way to where I was found. And that’s where I was heading.

Unknown POV

I stared at the hunters as they told me of the attack. When I heard that Callie was back with her mother, I almost lost it. My little princess deserved more that what that pitiful pack could offer her. I growled softly at the men before I stood and went to my room.

On the corner of my desk sat a picture of Callie and me when she was just a baby. That picture was my most cherished possession. It was a daily reminder of what my goals were.

It was true that the hunters kidnapped her to kill her wolf, but what they didn’t know was that I switched the pills. Instead of killing her wolf, it would suppress it and allow another side of her to grow. A side of her that only Royal’s had, and even they feared it.

Her father didn’t know that Callie was still alive. I had told him a year after she was taken that she was most likely dead. It killed me to lie to my own brother, but it was for his own good. He would have never given up looking for her if he thought she was still alive.

A cold, icy grin made its way across my lips. Soon, her hidden angel side would awaken and I would find her. Then, and only then, would I be able to have my revenge against my brother for stealing what was mine.

Matthias’s POV

(Callie’s Father)

For years I believed that my daughter was dead. I gave up on ever finding her and I gave up on the love of my life. Although Angel wasn’t my true mate, I loved her as if she was. But without our little girl there, our house was empty. And it wasn’t long before the two of us were fighting. We both agreed that it would be best if I left and I did what she wanted.

Yesterday I caught wind of a rumor that Callie was alive and she was with her mother. Because of my duties as King, I couldn’t leave to find if the rumors were true but I could send someone in my stead. So I sent the only person I could trust with a matter as close to my heart as this: my Beta’s son.

I gave him a copy of the only picture I had of my little girl and he promised that he wouldn’t return to me unless he had her with him. And I knew that he would keep his word or die trying. As I stood in the driveway watching him leave, I wondered where my brother was. But I quickly shook the thought away. He was probably remote and didn’t want to be found. My wolf had started telling me to keep an eye on him, that something wasn’t right with my brother. And as of yet, my wolf has never been wrong. I found myself hoping that this time he was.