Chapter 9

Draco’s POV

(Vampire)

I had just settled into my room when I heard a loud knock on my door. Sighing softly, I quickly reach the door and open it. Only to find a King’s scholar standing in the hallway looking rather nervous. He bows to me and starts talking as if there was no tomorrow.

“Sire, King Matthias requests your presence immediately.”

“What’s the fuss about? I’m busy today, but I could swing by and speak to him in the morning.” The scholar paled at my words which peaked my curiosity. “You don’t understand Sire. It is the utmost importance that you come with me know.  You’re the King’s last and only hope.” Matthias and I were friends, and I knew that he would only ask for me to come only if it was urgent.

“Lead the way my man.” I say stepping out into the hall and locking the door behind me. He led me to a car and as I slide into the back seat, I couldn’t help but look at the moon stone in my ring. Other supernatural creatures were afraid of me because I was the only vampire they knew that could walk around in broad daylight and not die. But what they didn’t know it was because of a special stone the Moon Goddess herself gave to me after I saved the Wolf King many, many centuries ago. My day hadn’t even started and it already promised to be interesting.

Thane’s POV

I had just stepped out of my room when my chest started burning like it was on fire. Rushing back through my room, I toss my jacket on the bed as I started to unbutton my shirt as fast as I could. Running to the bathroom, I pushed my shirt off and found a dagger piercing a heart on my chest where my heart was.

As I started at it, I forgot that my father was with me. He pulled me around and I could see that he was angry. “You’ve found your mate haven’t you son?”

“No…Yes.”

“Which is it?” His were spewing fire and I lowered my head. “About a week or so ago during the party here at the house, someone touched my hand and I felt the sparks. But when I turned around to see who my mate was, there was no one behind me. So I started thinking it was just my imagination, you pre-wedding jitters. It wasn’t until a few days later when I started feeling just faint shots of emotions that weren’t mine that I knew she had been there.

“I tried speaking to her through the bond, but I’ve heard nothing.” My father straightened his shoulders and looked me in the eye. “It’s almost time to start. Finish dressing and meet me in the hall.”

“Yes sir.” He leaves and I start buttoning my shirt. I glance up and into my eyes. I’m the coward? Mate you’re wrong. You are. If you weren’t, you would have been there when I turned around to see who you were. Cowards run and so did you. You brought this upon yourself.

I turn to leave when I heard her voice again and it shocked me. It was filled with hurt and anger. I hadn’t been paying attention to our bond and I thought that it had faded again. I kicked myself when she started speaking.

Callie’s POV

I was standing under a small willow watching Ryan speak with several pack members. Once in a while, he would look at me and smile. It broke my heart to see the glints of love shining in his eyes. If things were different, I could see myself falling for him. Why the Moon Goddess couldn’t have paired me with Ryan instead of Thane, I’ll never know. Better yet, I planned on asking her once we met.

I’m the coward? Mate you’re wrong. You are. If you weren’t, you would have been there when I turned around to see who you were. Cowards run and so did you. You brought this upon yourself. I heard Thane say softly and I wondered if he knew the bond was open between us. I didn’t think he realized it was, so I spoke. But I couldn’t keep the hurt from my voice.

Cowards don’t put those they love before themselves, mate. Cowards only care about what they can do and get for number one and no one else. The day I found out you were my mate was the day I also found out I was a werewolf. I knew you were engaged to Rose: I even seen the two of you together often and I knew that I couldn’t compete for the love that was already hers.

I knew what was coming if I stayed silent, but I love you enough to want you to be happy. Even if that means it’s with someone else and not with me. If I was a coward Thane, I would have tried to come between you and Rose. But that’s not who I am. I would rather suffer in silence than come between two people. I dropped the link when I saw Ryan heading towards me with concern written on his face.

“What’s wrong Callie?”

“What do you mean Ryan?”

“You were crying.” He said gently as he started to wipe my face. I went to speak but couldn’t think of what to say. “Come on. We still have a tour to finish.” Falling in step with him, I try to keep my thoughts from turning towards the end of this day and my life.

Matthias’s POV

I stared bewildered at my friend. “Could you repeat that again Draco?”

“I said that I do know of a way to stop her death tonight, but I’m afraid you won’t like it one bit.”

“Well spit it out already man.” I say rather impatient. With each passing second, it meant one less second she had to live. “It’s called a Transfer. The second her mate marks another, I’d have to bite her while injecting just enough of my venom to stop her heart for a full five minutes. But…”

“But what, come on Draco. I swear I’ve never seen you this tongue tied since the day you met the Wolf Queen of Ireland.” I smiled at him but he just shook his head. “The Transfer could be done by any original vampire Matthias. But the reason it’s called what it is, is because it transfers the mate bond to whoever performs the ceremony.

“However, she would still have the option of rejecting that person if she chose to.  I’ve seen only a handful of them done and myself have preformed two.”

“Will it turn her into a vampire?” I asked, pushing the words out past the lump in my throat. Draco just shrugged his shoulders. “It is known to happen though rarely my friend. But yes, there’s a small chance it could turn her into a vampire.”

I felt the air leave my lungs as I fell back against my chair. Dear Goddess what do I do know?