Duets

"All right, let's gather around." Mr. Schue called as soon as he walked into the choir room the next week. "Sorry I'm late, guys. I was with Principal Figgins. Bad news, guys. Puckerman's in juvie."

"It really was just a matter of time." Tina scoffed as Winnie shrugged, unable to disagree.

"What did he do?" Quinn asked.

"He drove his mom's Volvo through the front of a convenience store and drove off with the ATM." Mr. Schue explained, as some of the kids laughed.

"And when is he getting out?" Rachel asked.

"Unknown."

"He might be the dumbest person on this planet." Brittany smirked. "And that's coming from me."

"Guys!" Mr. Schue called when everyone chuckled a bit. "Let's have some sympathy."

"For a guy who puts his needs before the team's?" Finn demanded then. "We need his voice and his bad-boy stage presence."

"We can't look at this as a crisis." Mr. Schue said, trying to make light of the situation. "It's an opportunity."

"For what?" Quinn rolled her eyes. "Further embarrassment and humiliation?"

At that, Mr. Schue smiled, standing up as he pointed at the door.

"For welcoming our new member... Sam Evans!"

Turning to the door, Winnie smirked a bit when Sam walked inside and clapped along with everyone else when he stood there in front of them with Mr. Schue.

"Hey, everybody." Sam smiled as everyone watched him in silence. "I'm Sam. Sam, I am. And I don't like green eggs and ham."

"Oh, wow." Santana scoffed. "He has no game."

At that, Sam grimaced a bit, but Winnie kept her eyes on him, smirking a bit when Santana rolled her eyes at her clear interest in the boy, who, clearly attracted a lot of attention considering Winnie Archer, Quinn Fabray and Kurt Hummel seemed very invested on the new kid with no game.

"Okay!" Finn clapped once as he stood up to try and diffuse the tension. "This is gonna be great. You're not going to regret joining, Sam."

"Oh, good." Sam smiled then.

"Sam, you sit right here." Finn pointed a chair beside his as Sam took a seat.

"All right! Question for the group." Mr. Schue said, as he started to put the class back on track. "What's a duet?"

"A blanket." Brittany said, as Mr. Schue shook his head.

"A duet is when two voices join to become one." The teacher continued. "Great duets are like a great marriage. The singers complement each other, push each other to be better. Now, some people may think..."

From a seat beside hers, Winnie could hear Kurt and Mercedes talking and when she realized the conversation was about Sam, she started to pay attention.

"Hey..." Winnie whispered as she leaned closer to Santana, who was sitting in front of her. "You think the new boy is gay?"

"What?" The Latina frowned as Winnie shrugged.

"Kurt and Mercedes seem to think so."

"Have you ever met anyone with worse gaydar than those two?" Santana asked, as Winnie giggled. "He's straight. No game, as I said before. But straight."

"And that is what duets are all about." Mr. Schue finished his explanation, causing Winnie to snap her attention back at the teacher after her conversation with Santana. "So, this week I want you to pair up and sing a duet. And, since you guys all seemed to love our little Defying Gravity diva-off, I'm making this a competition."