Chapter 23: Come Morning Light, You and I'll Be Safe and Sound

-Melanie-

"Ryan! Slow down," I laughed as Ryan held my hand tightly, running down the sidewalk.

"I can't! Too excited!" he yelled.

"Where are we going anyway?"

"It's a surprise!"

"Ry, I don't like surprises," I pouted. He suddenly stopped running, making me crash into him. "Ow," I groaned.

He smiled apologetically and kissed me, "Sorry about that, but you'll love this surprise." He held my hand again as we continued walking.

A few minutes later, he let go of my hand and moved his own over my eyes.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"I told you it's a surprise!" he exclaimed.

"I swear, if I fall..."

"I'm not gonna let you fall. Don't worry your pretty face about it," he smirked.

I sighed as we kept walking to wherever he was taking me. We stopped and I could feel his breath on my right ear, making me shiver.

"Surprise," he whispered, moving his hand away from my eyes.

I covered my mouth with my hand and smiled as I looked at the picnic that was set up in front of us, "Ryan, this is beautiful."

"Still never as beautiful as you," he smiled back.

"What's the occasion?" I asked as we sat down on the blanket.

"What? Are guys not allowed to take their girlfriends out without a reason?" he gasped, putting his hand on his chest.

"Not when you're a Follese," I smiled.

"Just think of this as your birthday dinner," he smiled back.

"Ah, peanut butter sandwiches, pink lemonade, and cupcakes. You know how I feel about you spending all this money on me, Ry," I said sarcastically.

"As a member of the male species, it is my job to spoil my girlfriend whether she likes it or not," he announced.

"Huh," I smirked, "No one would ever be able to tell you were a guy considering how much you go shopping."

"Ow, Melanie. That really hurt," he laughed.

I shrugged, "I only say it because I love you."

He smiled and kissed my forehead, "I love you too."

~

"You'll never take me alive!" I screamed, running around the park after I may or may not have accidentally smeared some icing on Ryan's nose.

"You are so going to pay for that, missy!" he yelled back, laughing. He finally caught up to me, grabbing my waist and spinning me around.

I screamed again and laughed, "Don't hurt me!" He turned me around to face him and I laughed louder when I saw he still had the icing on his nose.

"Get it off," he said, pointing to his nose.

"Why? Your hands work perfectly fine," I giggled.

"You did it!" he laughed.

"It was an accident," I smiled innocently at him.

"Oh, sure it was," Ryan chuckled.

"Well, how do you expect me to get it? I'm not touching it and I don't have a napkin," I laughed again.

He shrugged, "Should've thought about that before you did it." I smirked and grabbed his cheeks, pulling his face toward mine, licking his nose lightly.

"All clean," I smiled.

He looked at me wide-eyed, then started laughing as he wiped his nose, "I can't believe you actually did that."

"Well, I told you I wasn't gonna touch it," I shrugged.

He smiled at me, "You're so weird."

"But you love me," I smiled.

"That I do," he replied, pressing his lips against mine.

~

"Guess what we just bought," I sang, skipping back into our hotel room.

"Cookies?!" Danielle screamed happily, bouncing up and down on the couch.

"No, but close!"

"What did you buy then?" Ian asked, laughing at Danielle's now sad facial expression.

"A movie," Ryan chuckled.

"How are cookies close to a movie?!" Danielle yelled.

"It's not just any movie," I smiled.

"Danielle is not amused," she interrupted, crossing her arms.

"Well, I guess you wouldn't wanna watch this then," I sighed, throwing the movie onto her lap.

She looked down and screamed again, "I didn't know The Hunger Games was on DVD already!" She threw the case at Jamie and yelled, "Put it in!"

"Now, ask nicely," he chuckled.

"Jamie, put the movie in before I tackle you," she smiled sweetly at him.

They stared at each other for a few seconds before Jamie said, "You're bluffing."

"You shouldn't have said that," I giggled as I watched Danielle grin.

"What do you mean?" Jamie asked, turning his attention to me. Danielle took that opportunity to jump on Jamie.

He groaned and she simply smiled, "Don't doubt me."

"Uh, you realize that I can't put in the movie if you're sitting on me, right?" Jamie asked after a few more seconds.

"But you're comfy," Danielle said, sticking out her bottom lip.

"That still doesn't mean I can put in your movie," Jamie laughed.

She got off of Jamie and moved to lean against Nash, "Nashy will love me."

Jamie looked at Nash and he raised his hands up quickly, "Don't look at me, man. I'm just waiting to watch the movie."

Jamie chuckled and shook his head as he opened the DVD's case and put the movie in the DVD player. Ryan grabbed the remote as we all sat down in front of the TV. Jamie returned to his seat and Danielle happily made her way back over to his side.

"Thank you, Jamie," she smiled, dragging out his name and kissing his cheek.

He rolled his eyes and laughed, wrapping his arm around her, "It's only because I love you." She smiled again and laid her head on his shoulder as Ryan started the movie.

~

"Oh, God. I'm gonna cry again," Danielle exclaimed close to the middle of the movie.

"Why?" Jamie laughed.

"Man, if you don't get the least bit emotional at this part, you have no soul," Ian chuckled.

"The only one not allowed to have a soul here is Nash," Ryan announced.

"Yeah, Jamie, and even I'm a little moved by it," Nash laughed lightly. Jamie simply shrugged and we watched the rest of the movie.

~

I must have fallen asleep at some point, because I was woken up by Ryan picking me up.

I mumbled and he whispered, "Just go back to sleep, babe." I sighed as he laid me down on our bed and wrapped his arms around me once he laid beside me. "I love you, Mel," I heard him say and felt him kiss my forehead right before I fell asleep again.

~

Title: "Safe and Sound" by Taylor Swift ft The Civil Wars

Outfit:
Melanie: http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=54672200