Chapter 4

Merlin pov.

It was rather cold outside in the early morning and the grass in the forest was almost completely frozen, leaving the tips with more of a blue appearance than green. Merlin was stumbling after Arthur, together with Gwaine. Lancelot and Leon were both on another side, scanning the woods for signs of life. They moved quickly and with stealth, so they could catch as much as possible over the day before it would be too dark too see.

A flock of birds flew over their heads, chirping loudly at each other when they passed the group. The Forest fell silent again apart from the wind that was breezing by and rustling the leaves inside the trees and on the ground non stop.

Merlin studied the colours thoroughly. If he concentrated and looked long enough, he could see the magic radiating off the flower petals. An amazing sight, truly. It was a shame that nobody else could see this. He was the only one who could as far as he knew.

There it was, the thin golden threads that hovered slowly in the wind, the golden bits of magic were attached to the flowers and grass and floated in the wind like they were weightless.

Merlin kneeled and held a hand out to almost touch one, to feel it's presence. He'd never done that, because he'd felt like he was intruding with nature if he did so, but this time it was different. It was like the magic was beckoning him, giving him permission to come closer. Merlin carefully held his hand right above the bright golden threads that swirled around the red flower like static hair.

It was like the air around it was vibrating. The golden strings immediately shot out to his fingers, gripping around his hand like it was life. Merlin blinked and got up again, admiring it.

It was like the tiny bit of magic knew him. Slowly and gently, the golden strings wrapped around his hand. They kind of felt like a glove made of energy strands, curling and spiraling on his skin. Merlin studied it in awe.

"Merlin! Are you planning on coming with us, anytime soon?" Arthur's voice sounded from behind him. Merlin snapped out of his trance and the thin thread dissappeared together with the welcoming warmth. He scowled, but forced himself to turn around and follow Arthur into the woods.

For a moment there, Merlin hadn't been incredibly tired, he'd felt calm and well rested. As if the magic was healing him. That was, of course, until he lost the connection and the energy went away. Ever since two weeks ago, sleeping had been very hard, because every time he actually fell asleep, he got nightmares about weird shadowy figures creeping up on him. It was never a solid form, though. Just a cloud of impenetrable smoak.

Walking behind Arthur, Merlin made sure no one was looking when he rubbed his eyes and yawned behind his hand. Gwaine came up from behind and swung an arm around Merlin.

"How is it going?"

"I'm doing fantastic, thank you."

Gwaine gave him a look and let go of him. Merlin rolled his eyes as he looked at him, searching for something, and nodded sarcastically. "Yeah, don't lie." he said, like Merlin was a child. "I can tell when you're lying, you know. Mostly everyone can. It's a wonder that you can keep a secret."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Gwaine smirked and turned his head away for a second. "Absolutely nothing. Totally hypothetical, Merlin."

They walked on a bit, Gwaine and Merlin were having a conversation about food and Arthur kept needing to sush them, because they were a bit loud. They continued on a low volume, but eventually got into a fit of laughter after a while when Gwaine told him a joke that he heard from a bartender somewhere. Arthur told Gwaine that he had to go walk in front of them.