Chapter 20

Arthur pov

There was still a lot of time left to figure out what they were going to do about Morgause and Cenred. Arthur stayed with Merlin the entire time. He couldn't wake up alone, when Gaius returned, he would go. Yes, Merlin didn't need him by his side all the time, he was going to be alright, Gaius had told him that. Still, his worry for him didn't go away. Why does he have to make me feel this way?

Arthur rubbed a hand over his face, trying to get his emotions in check. He'd always known Merlin was special to him, but over the years it had grown into something more. When did he stop thinking of Merlin as a friend and start to see him as... something more? How long had he been feeling like this and why did he only figure it out now?

With a deep sigh Arthur started talking. "Merlin, you've been laying down long enough now, I need you... To wake up." seeing his friend look like this was really difficult for him. It made him think about what would happen if Merlin died and left him behind. NO! He wouldn't let himself go down that road again. Merlin was still not moving besides the minimal rising and falling of his chest. "Dollophead, you're not going to die on me!" Arthur whispered the last three words, suddenly not trusting his voice anymore.

Hesitating, he took Merlin's hand with both of his and gently followed a pattern with his thumb. He'd never been this scared for anyone before. After a while, when he'd taken a few steady breaths, Arthur spoke up again, "Please." 

As if Merlin had heard Arthur's plead, his fingers twiched and he groaned in pain the moment he breathed in. Not wasting a second, Arthur's hand shot out to gently cup Merlin's cheek. "Hey, hey, Merlin, it's me, we're back in Camelot." Slowly, his eyes fluttered and opened, squinting against the light in the room. 

"Wh-" his question was interupted by a short coughing fit that made him curl in on himself from the pain. "Shhh, take it easy, you were knocked out for a pretty long time." Arthur said softly, rubbing his back as he sat up in the bed, pressing the palm of his hand against the back of his head. 

They sat like that for a moment, until Merlin seemed to fully awake, ocean blue eyes wide open with confusion. "I'm alive, I'm alive, I- am alive?" He uttered like he couldn't really believe it himself. Arthur chuckled in relief, making Merlin turn to face him. "You scared me." Arthur said, unable to supress a smile. "I had to carry you all the way back to Camelot, you didn't even stir the entire time." He continued, managing to sound a bit angry at him, but not convincing enough for Merlin. 

He stared at him with an intense gaze, frowning a bit and cocking his head to the side. Then, a faint grin appeared on his features. "Did you call me a dollophead?" Of course he had to hear that, of all things. Arthur rolled his eyes, shoving Merlin softly in response. 

"Morgause has taken Camelot. I'm going to have to get it back from her some way." A chuckle came from Merlin's lips as he flashed him one of his adorable smiles. "Are you doubting yourself? You're going to take it back in no time, you always have me by your side, There's no way she can defeat me." He said in a joking manner. 

Arthur stared at him fondly. "Uhm, do you want something to drink? or eat?" He was nervous all of the sudden. Merlin licked his lips, causing Arthur's eyes to jump down to follow the movement. Of course, this time, Merlin noticed it and stared back at him.

It was getting very hot in the room, Arthur swallowed nervously, not able to tear his gaze away from Merlin's lips. Breathing was suddenly difficult. If he just moved a little... He noticed that Merlin was not moving away anytime soon. Now or never. Arthur thought. 

He slowly tilted his head, brushing his lips against Merlin's. He immediately responded by closing the distance between them. Arthur closed his eyes. His mind shattered and splintered off to various different directions. Only one thought remained, playing like a mantra in his head. Merlin was kissing him. He melted into the feeling of Merlin's lips on his own and pressed back. He heard Merlin make a small noise in surprise, but he relaxed when Arthur moved his hand to the back of his neck, letting his fingers run through his raven black hair, tugging it slightly. Merlin opened his mouth to give better access and Arthur deepened the kiss. He loved the little sounds he got from that action, he wanted to hear them more often. Merlin's hand cupped his cheek, pulling Arthur even closer.