Chapter 25

Arthur pov

Finally, Arthur had managed to sneak out of the Throne room without anyone noticing and was now running through the hallway. "Damnit, where did you go?" He muttered to himself, turning another corner. The stress and anxiety he felt from not knowing where Merlin was and what he was doing right now had reached an unhealthy height. 

For a second, Arthur glanced out of one of the windows and stopped dead. "Really?" He hissed. Merlin was outside in the corridor and seemed to be having a CONVERSATION with Morgause! Then, without warning, he was thrown backwards. "Oh, shit!" Arthur remembered what he was supposed to be doing and started running again.

The moment he reached the hallway with the big wooden doors, one of Cenred's men came onto him. Arthur only just dodged the attack and staggered back. "I really don't have time for this!" He grunted while swinging his own sword at the man in front of him. He was larger than average. If that was a good or a bad thing was yet to be figured out by him, but right now, he just needed to not get hit.

As it turned out, there was no need to worry because even though he looked like he could have a tree falling on top of him and stand up without a scratch, the man eyed Arthur with wide eyes as he struck him in his side where it wasn't lethal, but enough to disable him. "Please, I didn't want this." The knight said. 

Arthur had to frown at him. "What do you mean you didn't want this?" He just got a pleading look thrown his way. "You're like that boy, aren't you?" Arthur questioned, slowly lowering his sword a bit. This could still be a fake. The man nodded vigorously. 

"She took my girl, not just her, that woman is forcing us to fight! Please spare me, she doesn't have anyone else!" To prove he wasn't a threat, the mand dropped his sword and held both his hands above his head, not losing eyecontact for one moment while doing so. Arthur hesitated. He needed to get to Merlin, so he could either trust this man not to start attacking again and go, or kill him and with the chance of having murdered an innocent.

He let out a frustrated grunt and continued towards the door, leaving the man behind. He heard a soft "Thank you, sire." but he ignored it and pushed the door open to see if he could help Merlin. He was surprised to see him standing again, one hand out as if he was holding something down. He was, Arthur saw. He quickly made his way over to Merlin to see if he could help, but he seemed to have things under control.

"Merlin!" Arthur yelled. Yes, he was perfectly aware that he was holding Morgause put, but he couldn't really care now, this was the one person that might have the one weapon that was able to kill him! How could he be so stupid? Arthur laid his hand on his shoulder to announce himself and moved to stand next to him.

His eyes were shining bright golden and Arthur's jaw went slack. From what his father had told him, there wasn't a fancy side effect that made the sorcerer's eyes appear the same colour as flames. Then again, his father didn't really execute them for that, so he might just not have cared enough to mention. 

Merlin turned his head slightly to acknowledge Arthur's presence, but kept his eyes trained on the woman in front of him. "I was hoping you would arrive a little later." It was subtle, but Arthur noticed he winced slightly at the movement and checked for any injuries. There was a small cut on his neck to his shoulder, probably caused by being thrown through the air. 

Apparently, Merlin knew that he was about to say something, because he cut him off before he got the chance. "I'm fine, don't worry about it." Arthur squinted his eyes at him. "Sure you are, after this is over, I'm going to kill you for going after Morgause while still injured. If you die-" "What do you want me to do, just let her destroy everything that is Camelot?"