Chapter 20

Just over 1 year later…

Louis had forgotten how eerily quiet it was in the ICU. He glanced over at Harry and wondered what was going through his head. Harry probably had the worst memories of this place. How many times had he watched Louis dying in here, how many times had he watched him arch violently under the shock paddles and prayed that this time it would work? How many nights had he sat beside the bed and wondered if there would be reason to come visit the next day? How many times had he begged pleadingly to a God he didn’t believe in that there would be a reason to come in the next day?

Hillary was at the nurse’s station as they stepped over the threshold. She hadn’t changed a bit. Her blond hair was still in a short fluffy ponytail and her lipstick rose red. She greeted them both with the biggest grin and ran around to hug them in delight. “It’s so good to see you!” She cried, “you look so well!” Hearing the commotion, Janine suddenly appeared out of one of the rooms and squealed a little as she rushed over to hug them too. Harry and Louis chuckled and returned her hug.

“So what brings you back to our little corner of the world?” she breathed, pulling back from Harry, “I thought you swore you’d never be back here? Not that I blame you!”

Harry looked to Louis who stepped forward, “Well,” he said with a shy smile, “we thought, after everything you did for us a few years ago, it would be nice to say thank you in the only way we probably can.” He reached into his pocket and pulled out a slightly crumpled envelope. “Hopefully this will help pay for a new heart monitor or anything else you might need.”

Hillary took it from him with a frown and Janine looked over her shoulder as she opened the envelope. Their eyes widened comically when they saw the size of the cheque.

“Whoa…” gasped Janine, “that is an insane amount of money!” Hillary’s hand trembled a little around the paper.

“Nothing we can’t afford,” Harry admitted, “and it’s really the least we can do.”

“Wow,” Hillary whispered, “I don’t know what to say.”

“You don’t have to say anything,” said Louis kindly, “but I was wondering, is Room 317 free?” He chuckled at their surprised expressions and explained, “In a strange way, I kind of miss the place – being here was about the only time I’ve truly had any peace. I wouldn’t mind having one last little memory of it where none of us are actually in the bed.”

Harry caught a strange look of understanding pass between his boyfriend and Hillary. It puzzled him a little but he didn’t dwell on it.

“Actually it is,” she said, nodding with a smile. “We’re really quiet at the moment. Go on through and take as much time as you need. I’ll go and give this to the department head,” she indicated the envelope. “Stick around though, I think our manager will want to speak to you about this.”

Louis thanked her and unashamedly took a hold of Harry’s hand, leading him towards the familiar room. Harry wasn’t entirely sure he wanted to go but he let Louis pull him along anyway. It was Louis and Harry would follow him to the ends of the Earth if he asked.

They stopped outside the familiar door and the chrome number 317 still had the slight scratch on it as it did almost seven years ago. Harry recalled the moment he had first saw the number plate. He was 18 and it was quarter to two on a dark Thursday morning. He had pushed the door open so tremulously only to see Louis lying in the bed, hooked up to all those scary machines, pale, unconscious and so damned fragile; he’d looked like a ten-year old.

Harry’s chest tightened at the horrible memory. He could almost hear the steady whoosh from the respirator and the quiet beeping from the heart monitor. Worst of all, he could remember all to clearly the way the beeping tone changed as Louis’s heart stopped. He closed his eyes.