Chapter 11

2 pm at the Silver Pot Coffee House, London

Louis fidgeted nervously with the sugar wrapper as he waited. The waitress gave him a small encouraging smile every time she passed his half-hidden table. He wasn’t convinced that this was a good idea at all. Maybe he should just phone up and cancel before he made an epic fool of himself. The door chimed as someone left the coffee shop and then rang again a moment later.

“Goodness; that Central Line gets more and more packed everyday.” Louis’s head snapped up at the familiar voice. He peered through the leaves of the privacy giving plants. Yep, his meeting had just walked through the door. Too late to back out now. His heart started to thud. Still peering through the leaves, he watched as the young man walked towards the till, shaking snow from his coat. “Hey Mandy, is he here?”

“Yeah honey,” the waitress who’d been smiling at Louis replied, “he’s at the private table in the back. You want me to bring you over your usual?”

“Please, thanks love.”

Louis bit his lip and his heart started to pound violently as the man turned and walked towards him. Technically, Louis had met him three times in his life; that was three conversations and one friendly number exchange. They were practically strangers. Yet here Louis was, about to talk to him about the most secret parts of himself. He stood up and smiled, as naturally as he could.

“Hi Louis,” Joe McElderry smiled at him, flashing his trademark smile. It was friendly and a little disarming but it put Louis a little more at ease.

“Hi Joe, thanks for coming,” he replied, shaking his hand.

“It’s a pleasure,” said Joe kindly, “and, can I say, it’s great to see you back up on your feet. You had the whole nation very worried about you for a while.”

“Thanks.”

They both sat down and Mandy delivered Joe’s coffee and a selection of biscuits on a plate, “Mmm, you’ve got to try the marshmallow melts,” said Joe, picking up a fluffy, milk chocolate biscuit and biting into it, “they’re to die for. Seriously.”

Smiling again, Louis picked up one of the biscuits and nibbled the edge. It was rather nice indeed. He bit off a bigger chunk and swallowed it with a mouthful of his cooling coffee.

“So, you must be wondering why I asked to talk to you,” he began, after a few moments of silent sipping. “My call was rather out of the blue, I know.”

“I have been wondering but… I also have an inkling too,” said Joe. There was no teasing or accusation in his voice, just gentle reassurance. Louis found himself liking the guy more and more; he seemed really genuine and kind. “I think there’s only one thing a young guy like yourself would seek advice about from someone like me.” Again, there was no accusation – only honesty.

Louis decided to be honest right back, “I… I don’t really know where to begin.”

Joe smiled softly, “Begin wherever you like, we’ve got plenty of time. Don’t be afraid to say something you feel is important – I won’t judge, I just want to help.”

“You’re really nice,” said Louis, almost in awe.

Joe chuckled, “You wouldn’t say that if you met me first thing in the morning.”

Louis laughed lowly, “Yeah, I’m not a morning person either, really.”

Joe took another sip of his coffee and waited patiently for Louis to begin.

“Could I start by asking you a question?”

“Of course,” Joe nodded, “I’ll try to be as open as possible.”