Chapter 5

Wednesday 6:14 pm – 1 week after Louis’s collapse.

“Boys slow down!” Hilary called out as three blurs zipped past her station. They acted as though they hadn’t heard her and she shook her head after them with a small smile. It was cute how worried they were over their band mate. No doubt they were going to have a party now that he was awake.

Niall was the first one to reach the door of Room 317 and he just about took it off it’s hinges as he slammed straight into it – pushing the handle at the last moment so he didn’t concuss himself. It was one of those well-made fire doors, which were nearly silent to open so his crashing through only created a whistle of air rather than a bang. He stopped abruptly in the door way at the sight before him and Liam and Zayn crashed into the back of him with joint groans of pain.

Louis was sitting propped up but his eyes were closed and his body very still. Harry’s head was buried in his arms to the side of the bed, probably asleep. Both were far too still and quiet for such a momentous event to have occurred. Niall’s heart sank – had someone made a mistake? Maybe Louis had had another fit or something or they had reduced his medication… Then again… the breathing tube was gone… Niall started to walk forward and Louis’s eyes slowly opened. Niall stopped instantly, his heart skipping a beat. Was he seeing things? No… he could definitely see white and blue…

“Louis?” He whispered.

Louis’s eyes blinked a few more times and he straightened his neck up. Then he smiled, wide and bright and so very Louis-like.

Louis!” They scampered for the bed – Liam just getting there first, wrapping his arm around Louis’s shoulders and pressing kisses to his temple. Louis laughed and weakly hugged him back. Niall was next and practically squished his friend with the huge bear hug he gave him. Liam had to prise him away eventually because Niall did not want to let go. He didn’t want to stop feeling the slight tremble of Louis’s arms which told him his friend was awake and alive.

Zayn was a lot calmer than the other two and he gave his friend a careful, slightly prolonged hug, with a lot of whispering, that spoke volumes in the only way Zayn could when it came to showing emotion. The Bradford boy suffered from a macho streak in him that could sometimes rival a Texas cowboy. It generally only showed itself in times of actual need – probably as a natural defence. Usually he had no problems being all over other guys when it was for a laugh.

When they pulled apart, Louis settled back against the pillow and rolled his eyes at Niall and Liam, “Oh Jesus,” he croaked, “not you guys as well. Harry already gave me the waterworks.”

Niall choked as he tried to laugh and cry at the same time and Liam furiously wiped his eyes on his sleeve. They all glanced over at the fifth band member who was fast asleep in his folded arms and hadn’t even stirred with all the commotion.

“How long has he been out?” asked Liam, walking around the bed to the youngest and shrugging off his jacket.

“About three quarters of an hour,” Louis croaked, fondly running a hand through Harry’s soft curls. Liam draped his coat over Harry’s shoulders and then went to shut the blinds. “He kind of just zonked out on me. Tell me… is he okay? He looks absolutely shattered.”

“Well… he’s not been sleeping much, if at all, this past week,” said Liam, dragging three chairs over to the other side of the bed. “Not that it’s surprising. You gave us all a hell of a scare. So,” he settled down on his chair and gave Louis a brilliant smile, “how are you feeling?”

“Honestly?” Louis rumbled, momentarily closing his eyes, “Like I’ve been hit by a bus.”

“Pretty ill then?”