Chapter 4

Sunday 2:41pm (four days after Louis’s collapse)
Radio 1 with Matt Edmondson

Matt: … coincidentally Kate and I went to see One Direction playing at ‘Stream Wave’ last night.

Olli (Murs): I was surprised they didn’t cancel considering the circumstances. How was it, the poor lads?

Matt: It was good but they were clearly struggling without Louis and, to give the guy his due, you could really hear his voice missing from the harmonies. I know he’s been accused, in the past, for not being a good singer and for miming but I can vouch, personally, that it isn’t true. He gives the vocals that little bit of extra meat the band needs…

Olli: I’ve been saying that from the start

Matt: Last night the four of them looked so sad and I just wanted to go up and give them all a big hug – especially Harry. I don’t think his heart was really in it.

Olli: Harry and Louis are really close, like the best of best friends, so he’s got to be devastated. From what I heard, he’s been at the hospital practically 24/7. I bet they had to prise him away to get him to the club. Incidentally, did they give you any news, last night, on Louis’s condition? I checked out their website yesterday but there hadn’t been an update.

Matt: I got the chance to speak to one of their team after the show and she said Louis was still in a medicated coma. Supposedly, it’s been touch and go but the antibiotics finally do seem to be taking a hold. They think he’ll be released from the coma sometime tomorrow.

Olli: One Direction, if you’re listening, ours hearts are with you lads as are our thoughts. We wish Louis the speediest of recoveries and if you need anything, don’t hesitate to give me a call.

~*~

Monday 10:27 am - Room 317

“So you just give him that drug and he should come out of the coma?” Liam asked, somewhat in awe.

“Well, it will counteract the one we’ve been giving him to keep him unconscious but when he’ll actually wake up is down to Louis. Please bear in mind he was unconscious when we administered the medicated coma so don’t be alarmed if it’s a few more days before he comes to.” The doctor pressed the sharp metal of the syringe into the foil lid of the bottle and started to draw the clear liquid.

“But he will,” Harry asked, nervously wringing his hands, “he will wake up?”

“At the moment we cannot see any reason why he might remain in this condition for any longer than a week. As long as his condition does not deteriorate then the prognosis is good.”

Zayn crossed his arms, he hated it when people dressed up words. Basically, the doctor meant that the odds were good on Louis waking up but there was still a tiny chance that he might not.

They all watched with baited breath as the doctor inserted the needle into Louis’s IV and pressed the plunger. She then stepped back and slipped a cap over the sharp metal before placing it in a special disposal box.

“That’s it?” Niall asked, as they all stared down into Louis’s face, hoping to see an instant reaction. There was none. Louis didn’t seem to register the injection in any way.

“That’s it,” the doctor nodded, “now we just have to wait.”

~*~