Chapter Two

After returning to her apartment to grab what she needed with Charles, Erik Lehnsherr said he would met them back at the airport where they would fly to Virginia and join the other mutants. Charles had mentioned that Aella was the last mutant they were looking for. After that, they would head back to Virginia where she would join the other mutants.

"I assume you're a university student." Charles said as Aella unlocked her door.

"You can read my mind, why do you ask?" Aella questioned as they entered her small apartment.

"I don't like to pry, getting to know someone though conversation is more natural." He said looking around her apartment as they entered.

Aella moved some books off her dinner table, where she had been writing her paper on genetics, and offered Charles a seat while she go pack some things. She rushed into her room, closing the door just a crack and took off her work uniform and into something a little more casual.

"Are you studying genetic mutations?" He asked from the table.

"Yes, well no." She slipped out of her room and looked at Charles who was reading over her paper on genetic mutations. "I'm only taking a class on it this semester." She said shyly.

Charles looked up from her paper and smiled, "Well it's wonderful. I'm actually a professor on genetic mutations."

Aella looked to him in shock, "You are?" Charles nodded his head. She turned away smiling to herself and started to pack up the rest of her things.

The sound from the city below filled the quiet apartment as she quickly fathered some things in a small bag. Filled out clothes and small things one by one, stuffing them in the leather bag.

"Aella." Charles said from behind her, which shocked her causing her to quickly turn around and see a glass cup being thrown at her direction. Before it hit the ground, she put her hand out and caught it without touching it.

She looked up at Charles who stood in the doorway of her room, hands in his pockets, smiling to himself. "Fascinating." He said softly.

"What was that for?" She asked clearly embarrassed. She quickly took the cup from the air, holding it in her own grasp.

"I'm sorry, I was just testing to see how your power worked." He nodded to her, "Tell me, what age were you when you developed your powers."

"Around four."

Charles nodded, "What about..." he motioned to her purple and blue hair.

"I didn't dye it if that's what you're asking." Aella said pulling the small bag of clothes off her bed. She brushed past Charles and placed the bag by the door.

"Was your hair always that colour?" He questioned as he followed her around the house.

"No, my mother tells me it started turning blue at the ends by the time I was five, after that it just turned purple with blue at the ends."

"Extraordinary." Charles whispered to himself. He was clearly impressed by whatever mutation had caused such thing in Aella.

"I guess that would go the same for your eye colour." He said leaning closer to her to look into her eyes.

Aella felt embarrassed by the amount of questions and attention Charles had given her. She normally stayed out of the sight of others so having the Professor ask such questions where she would lie was daunting.

"I'm sorry if I pushed on anything personal." Charles said quickly.

"No no. It's alright. I'm just, not used to answering truthfully to such questions."

"I understand." Charles said nodding to her. "You don't have to fear them you know." Aella looked up to Charles, "I know you're afraid of your power, you don't have to be."

Aella let her shoulders fall and breathed out a heavy sigh, "I have reasons to believe otherwise." Charles looked at her for a moment, "Please don't read me." She said softly.

Charles shook his head, "Never, not unless you wish."

Aella whispered a thank you and grabbed her coat from the rack. She looked towards her apartment which would be left for who knows what. She saw the photo of her and her mother sitting on the side table near the window in the living room. Aella looked at it for a moment, which caught the eye of Charles who followed her gaze and looked at the worn out photo in its class protection. Charles decided that he had asked enough questions, so he didn't pry on the photo of a younger Aella and an older women. Aella moved past Charles and picked up the photo, looking at it quickly before she placed it in the bag with her other things.

Looking to Charles, she nodded her head, signally that they were ready to go meet with Erik. The ride in the taxi was calmer. Charles asked Aella about her learnings in genetics, causing a conversation about mutations. Aella was still nervous around the Professor, so she let him ramble on about his learnings, listening carefully as he talked so passionately about his own research. Charles took note that Aella was more of a listener, rather than being open and talkative.

Once the two arrived at the airport, Charles led the young mutant to the private plan they had borrowed from the CIA. "Grand isn't it?" Charles asked as they approached the plane.

"Indeed." She said in awe.

"Here, allow me." Charles said taking the bag from Aella.

Climbing up the stairs of the small plane. Charles led her into the plane where it was small and comfortable. Erik was sitting by one of the windows and looked towards their direction once he saw them enter. Erik shifted himself from the way he was sitting and watched at Aella sat across from him. Charles placed her bag away, and sat next to Erik.

"Can I ask you something?" Erik Lehnsherr asked Aella out of the blue.

The young girl looked to the man and nodded her head.

"Did you, is it..." he gestured to her hair, "naturally like that?"

Charles let out a chuckle which learned a confused look from Erik. Aella smiled, embarrassed, "Yes, it's naturally like this."

Erik nodded and leaned back in his chair. "Interesting colours." He mumbled which earned a nudge from Charles.

Aella turned her attention away from the two men and looked out the window as they took off. She was afraid of flying so she closeted her eyes and calmed herself. Opening them soon after, she watched as Washington became small and so far away.