chapter three P2

ANUSHIYA VISHWANATH

Once we were done with our exams and college we girls and our boy classmates gathered in our college ground and threw our ID to air and shouted, "Yeah!" for our independence. We all celebrated by throwing color powders and water balloons like Holi with our friends and our classmates as if we were showing our happiness, love and how much we are going to miss them.

While I was in the party mood I didn't see that moon has arrived and it was my time to get home before appa come on his bike to search for me.

"Sorry, Malini and Akash. I've got to go. And thank you for your pani puri. I enjoyed my time with you guys." With those exact words, I was gone from there.

Malini and Akash was my only friend in that college where the students were studying in and around the world. And the secret that two of them told me to keep quiet was, they were going to propose but they don't know so I thought why standing there like a third wheel. That was the real reason and secret they said to keep it myself.

When I got back to my house I usually unlocked our door with the spare key and entered myself in. But when I heard Jo shouting, "Anu's here!" I was frozen in place couldn't even take another step because I know they must be staring at me. How can I say them to stop starring at me because I was a shy type?

Jo was going on with her words but I couldn't concentrate on anything.

I was still standing in that doorway, eyes to floor and brain to amma to drag me somewhere but not here. That was the most awkward situation I'd ever been in lately.

"What's this?" amma asked, whispered. But even while she was whispering, the tone of scolding thing has done a great job.

And that's when I realized that I might be looking like Zombie. The colors and waters, I imagined myself how I'd be looking at them and that was horrible. I imagined standing hair, wet uniform with multiple colors combination which should exactly portray me as a joker who escaped from the middle of the circus show.

I was embarrassed.

"Amma last day of college..." I tried to say but she cut me off.

"Come with me," she dragged me to my room upstairs.

While ascending the stairs, I felt those unfamiliar gazes on my back.

Once we were in our room, she pushed me into the bathroom and threw me a towel to clean up myself, and closed the bathroom door from the outside.

I placed the towel on the hanger, twisted the shower knob. The cold water slides throw my skin. While showering a sudden thought hit me up because I didn't see any of them. How many of them were sitting? Why they were here?

Wait, no... way. They were here for me means they were here to see me and ask my hand in marriage? I was shocked by those thoughts and twisted the shower knob off and wrapped the towel around me and knocked on the door. Jo opened it with a smug smile on her lips.

"Jo, what's going on here?" I whispered.

"Oh! You don't know anything, do you?" She asked totally surprised.

"That's the point," I said.

I don't know what she saw in my face but she gave me that perfect answer which I don't want to hear. "They are here to ask your hand in marriage, I guess. And when I saw a small velvet box on that aunt's hand I started to think that it wasn't going to just a meeting or asking your hand in marriage." She was taking too long to say the fact.

"So if he said "yes", the next second they'll put the engagement ring on my hands. And then I'll be engaged?" I asked.

Then she points me to the bed where the saree and the other ornaments were eagerly waiting for me to wear them. I don't know how to wear a saree. I need my amma's help but I couldn't go search for her with only wearing a towel. So I asked Jo to call amma for me. She let out a breath and walked to the hallway, I thought she was going to search and bring her here but what she did was, "Amma, Anu doesn't know how to saree..." her voice echoed in our house.