chapter two

TWO

ANUSHIYA VISHWANATH

I was sitting on my bed in my room alone, pillow on my lap and laptop on a pillow, watching Netflix's series as my hand feed me popcorn to my mouth. The sun was frying people's skin outside but I was safe here sitting inside my room which had an air conditioner, I was thankful for my appa(dad) which he'd brought this for us in instalment.

To be honest I was all alone in my whole house. My parents and my little sister went to the airport to receive one of my appa's close friends and his family.

First, he'd a plan of going with amma(mom) but my little sister was like... an extrovert she likes going out and seeing things and making friends so she insisted to go with them. But at first, he didn't let her because if she goes with them I would be all alone in this house. And it wasn't safe to leave their elder girl alone. But when she kept her face crying and asked me, "Will you be safe if I went out with amma and appa? Or you wanna go with us?" I told appa that I would be safe and take Jo with them. When I finally said that she started grinning and hugged me and with a second they were all gone.

I know one thing for sure that I wasn't like her not like any other woman. I was different.

That was the reason behind me sitting on my bed and watching Netflix.

After hours of watching that colour screen, my eyes started pain so I flicked close to the laptop, placed it aside, and hopped out of bed, finally. And made my way to the kitchen and opened the fridge there was nothing but some Tupperware containers full of leftovers and a couple of cold water bottles. I took a water bottle and closed the door with a thud.

When I was about to sit in our dining room with a bottle in my hand our calling bell rings. I placed the bottle in front of the table and went to answer the door.

"Anu, we're home." my little sister as her hand in the air. Behind her our amma(mom) and appa(dad) were standing, smiling at me.

"Welcome home," I said and I meant it.

"You know what?" Jo asked.

"I saw airplane took over." She showed her teeth as she said. "That was too noisy, my ear was still hurting I want to put some ice cubes in my ear."

"What?" We all shouted and she gave me a sigh look.

"Just kidding," We all shook our head in relief.

"Where are they?" I asked amma once we sat on our sofa in the living room. I sat beside appa and Jo sat beside amma.

"Yeah, we stopped by their house and his amma insisted us to eat lunch with them," Amma said to me. So they went to their house. "Can I make you something?" she asked.

"No."

"Maggie in two minutes?" she said because she was sorry for me.

"No, I'm sure I was going out anyway. I'll take care of it." I assured her which was a lie.

"Going out?" They all asked at once, surprised. Yes, whenever I say "Going out" they never forget to give their surprise expression because I don't go out very often.

I can't just ignore them.

"Yes, with Arjun."

I called Arjun when I got back to my room which I share with my little sister. He answered me quickly as I expected.

"Hey, are you free right now? What about catching lunch together?" I asked him. He didn't answer at first. There were some background noises like bike engines roaring which had always irritated me.