Chapter 12

hey guys! a nice long Chapter 12 is here!! :D 

Happy Reading!! :D :D

Chapter 12

Suddenly Sydney found herself to be engaged to James. She had tried to explain the situation to her parents but in a matter of few hours Mrs. Smith had already invited half of Chicago to the wedding. Jessica too seemed to be happy that she was finally getting a father and was operating on a sugar high since morning.

Frustrated, Sydney finally cornered James in the afternoon.

"Look, we need to explain it to them that this whole situation is not like it seems to be. Why didn't you say anything to dad last night when you'll were together?"

"Syd, can't you see how happy they all are at this news?" James asked eagerly. "Even Jessica is so happy! And we are meant to be, Sydney. I just know it deep inside that we belong together or else why would I ask for a second chance after all these years? Please give me this chance and I promise you won't be disappointed."

Sydney was torn. Her brain told her not to listen to him since he had already hurt her once. But her heart was overjoyed in seeing Jessica so excited to finally have a father.

“Sydney, dear! Why aren’t you still ready? We have your dress fitting this afternoon,” Claudia said, entering the living room, shocked.

“What dress fitting?” Sydney asked.

“Your wedding dress, silly!” Claudia chuckled. “I tell you, James, this girl…”

“Whoa, hang on there a second. Why are we shopping for a dress right now? I mean the wedding, if it happens, is still eons away!”

“Honey, the wedding is fixed for next week,” Claudia rolled her eyes.

“Excuse me, what? When was this planned?”

“Last night. Frankly we didn’t want to take any chances and even James agreed that the wedding should be as soon as possible.”

“And what about me? Did anyone bother asking what I wanted?” Sydney practically yelled.

Claudia looked shocked, “Sydney, I thought you wanted to get married.-“

“Mommy, help!” Jessica came running out of her room red faced and laughing as James chased her around the room. She tangled herself around Sydney’s legs and playfully challenged James to get to her now.

Sydney absent mindedly rubbed her daughter’s hair and saw the joy on her pretty little face as she was faced with her father’s love first time in her life. That was when Sydney knew that she couldn’t bear to take this happiness from her daughter’s life. James might still be the same guy he was ten years ago but to give Jessica this short lived joy, she was willing to take James at his word and believe that he had truly changed.

After five hours of trying on shoes, jewelry, and dresses, Sydney was officially exhausted; she had forgotten how obsessed Claudia was about finding the perfect dress and accessories to go with it. Finally they got into a cab and were on their way back home where James was taking care of Jessica. George had met some of his colleagues and decided to go out for drinks and James thought this would be a very good father-daughter bonding moment.

“My baby is going to married” Claudia whispered, her eyes filled with tears.

“Oh ma, you know if you start crying I will too and I really don’t want to start this chapter of my life with tears” Sydney said, hugging her mother.

“I am sorry; it’s just- what's going on here?” Claudia broke off in the middle, staring at the crowd gathered in front of Sydney's building.

Sydney pushed open the cab door and ran in the middle of the crowd.