Chapter 10

hey guys! my net is back so i promise to update another chap very soon..in a few hours actually :D thanks for the patience :)

and Chaaapter 10 is here!!! thank u soooo much for your support!!! love you guys!! :D :D

happy reading! :D

Chapter 10

George and Claudia were going to stay with Sydney and Jessica for a few more days.

Sydney was surprised with the news since she thought they would be leaving the very next day. Sydney got over her surprise as more and more days passed when she came to know that they had an ulterior motive to stay there. They did not just want to spend some quality time with their daughter and granddaughter. At every opportunity they got they pestered Sydney to marry James.

It seemed every waking moment that she spent with her parents; she would be listening to points on why she couldn't marry James. James too was spending a lot of time at their apartment.

Claudia had insisted that he spent the nights too. That wouldn't have bothered Sydney too much if he wasn't sleeping in her room. On the first two nights she had made him sleep on the chair in her room but later on taking pity on him she allowed him to sleep on the other side of the bed. She knew it was dangerous when she made the offer but she had strict no-touching rule.

James was spending a lot of time with Jessica and she saw her daughter fall under spell. There would be days she spoke about nothing but James. Sydney would have put a stop to their friendship if she could stop the trecherous thoughts which told her that maybe, just maybe, James had really turned over a new leaf.

Sydney hadn't caught any of the coy smiles that told her James had something up his sleeve. He was open and happy whenever he was in their company. Combine that with his charms, it was a heady combination Sydney was having difficulty resisting.

As days passed she found her thoughts filled with James. She was falling for him again.

One night after Sydney's parents had gone for a night out and James had gone to his own house, Jessica and Sydney sat on the couch watching Princess Diaries.

"Mommy?" Jessica asked.

"Yeah?"

"I think James is a nice guy," Jessica said.

Sydney froze. "Didn't you not like James?" Sydney asked slowly.

Jessica nodded, "yes, but that may have been because I didn't know him." She paused. "You know he came to pick me up last week and he told Michelle's mom that he was my dad. The next day Michelle started talking to me again."

Sydney tightened her arms around Jessica.

The doorbell rang before she could reply.

"Hey, I bought dessert." It was James; his arms loaded with what had to be a chocolate cake.

"I thought you had gone home," Sydney said.

"I had but then I felt like eating cake and its no fun eating it alone," he said, placing the cake on the coffee table and kissing Jessica's forehead.

"You got cake!" Jessica squeeled.

"Chocolate. I know its your favourite," James said with a wink.

"I'll get plates," Sydney said.

Five minutes later the three were sitting on the couch with Jessica in the middle. They each had a piece of cake in their plates- a big piece in Jessica's- which Sydney was sure her daughter wouldn't be able to finish.

"Oh, Mommy, there is parent's day in school this friday," Jessica said, between mouthfuls of cake.

Sydney wondered why she hadn't mentioned anything before. But her eyes went to James; ofcourse, she wanted her father there. It was times like these Sydney knew that what her mother had said was true- a child did need a father.

"Really, what time?" Sydney asked.

"At two"

"I'll be there."

Jessica was clearly torn whether to mention anything about James or not. She looked between Sydney and James willing one of them to understand.

"Parent's day...that will be nice," James said, softly and he too started looking at Sydney.

Sydney sighed, "You want to go with me?" Sydney was surprised that it didn't bother her very much that James would be going there as Jess' father. In fact, she liked the thought.

"I would love to," James smiled.

Sydney answered with a smile of her own.

"Are you free tomorrow evening?" James asked after they had put Jessica in bed.

"Depends on why you're asking," Sydney said.

"You invited me to Jessica's parents day so I thought you were ready to give me a second chance," James said, his intense gaze not wavering from Sydney's.

Sydney waited for him to continue. She knew where he was headed towards but wanted to hear it from his mouth.

"I'll pick you up at 6.30. Dress casually," James ordered. "Goodbye, sleep well," he placed a light kiss on her cheek and was out of the door.

Sydney closed the door behind him slowly and leaned on it. She was going on a date with James again. Maybe what she had fantasized about James in college was true after all; he would be her first and last.

What about Ashton?

Sydney pushed the stray thought at the back of her head. Ashton was just a friend who had created nothing but problems for her family.

With that thought firmly in her mind she went to bed.