|1|: Prologue

A/N: Hello my fellow caffeine addicts! I know that in the past, that I said that I'd never write another "Miraculous ladybug" fanfic, but I couldn't get this idea out of my head... so here it is.

So sit back with a big cup of coffee or tea, and enjoy the story!
__________________________________

The school bell rang and students started to file out of the classrooms and head home for the day.

  Marinette was one of the last people out and she was hurriedly packing her bag so that she could leave school as soon as possible. Today was an important day. It was a day that had been a long time coming... Marinette was going on a date.

  ***

  After grabbing her things and running out of the building, Marinette waited in front of the school for her date to pick her up.

  As she stood there waiting patiently, a familiar voice that had always made her knees weak called out to her.

  "Hey there Marinette!" Adrien said with a smile on his face as he waved. Marinette blushed slightly and waved back.

  "Aren't you going home?" Adrien questioned as he stood next to her. Marinette blushed at their close proximity and looked at the ground. "N-no, not yet." She stuttered. Adrien smiled slightly as he looked down at her.

  At 17 years old, Marinette had grown into a beautiful young woman. She had grown taller and curvier, and her shoulder length hair now reached her lower back and was worn in a loose side braid that draped elegantly over her shoulder. The only thing that hadn't really changed about Marinette, was how she still acted all shy around Adrien.

   A light blush dusted Adrien's cheeks. Over the past few months, he had come to an important realization... he loved Marinette.

  There was just something about her that captivated him. It was a quality that she had always possessed and Adrien didn't understand why it took him so long to notice Marinette in the way he did now. There was nothing not to love about this girl. From her beautiful bluebell eyes that stared into your soul, to her endlessly kind and giving heart; everything about Marinette was pure perfection. And although Adrien had always been married to Ladybug in his imagination, he now realized that Marinette was there as well.

   As much as he loved Ladybug, he knew that he had no shot with her. Besides, he didn't even know who she really was. But with Marinette, it was just so real and pure. She was almost too good for him. They had been friends for four years and had spent a lot of time together. They were bonded by friendship, respect for each other's talents, and their shared enjoyment of making other people smile. So after many weeks of deliberation, Adrien had decided to give up on Ladybug and confess his feelings for Marinette.

  "So, how did your classes go today?" Adrien asked, trying to strike up a conversation. Marinette shrugged. "I guess they were alright. I had a little trouble in Ms. Mendeleiev's class because of that pop quiz, but I think that I passed." Adrien smiled. "I have every confidence that you did." Marinette looked at Adrien out of the corner of her eye and tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear. "Th-thanks Adrien."

  The two stood in a comfortable silence for a few more minutes, before Adrien took a deep breath and prepared to tell Marinette how he felt about her. "So... um... Marinette. I-I just wanted t-to say..." Adrien stuttered out, fumbling over his words.

  Marinette looked at him in surprise. "Wow Adrien. I thought I was the only one who fumbled over their words like that." She said playfully. Adrien blushed in embarrassment. "Yeah... sorry about that." He apologized.