9: You got this swag, you got this attitude

I apologize if it's a bit blurry or unclear, but it's only because of the fact that I'm trying to change it. Thanks for your support btw O3O

“Have you seen Nate?” Luke asked me as soon as I hopped into his car. I shook my head. Something was definitely up. Nate wasn’t around in any of the classes we share together. Even during lunch time, he wasn’t there.

“Maybe he’s just sick or something, right?”

“He looked perfectly fine to me” I said, remembering his stature last night.

“Well, why not check him out?” “Sure”

During our drive to his house, I noticed how tall the trees were. It was like a scene from Twilight. When we approached a modern-looking home, Luke turned off the engine.

“We’re here” said Luke. Hopping off his car, the first thing I noticed was the black Audi with an open trunk full of bags. Was someone leaving?

Luke rang the doorbell and we were met by a woman who I assume was Nate’s mom. She looked quite stunning in her black pencil skirt and white blouse, minus her face though. She had dark circles under her eyes, and they looked really red, maybe from crying.

“Oh, hi, you must be here to say good bye to Nate?”

“Good bye? What do you mean?” Luke said. Nate’s mom looked over Luke’s shoulder, quite unsure, then said, “Well, he’ll be under his father’s custody now”.

“Mrs. Walsh, if you don’t mind my asking, are you and your husband… divorced?” I said, finally finding my voice.

“Yes, dear, we are” she said with a sad smile. “Where is Nate?” Mrs. Walsh bit her lip, like she was trying to think of something. “He’s—“ an engine cut her off. That’s when we noticed who was in the front seat. It was Nate. He was there all along. Didn’t he see us or something? The black Audi sped away, leaving a fog of dust in the air. “leaving” Mrs. Walsh muttered under her breath. She then started tearing up and closed the door.

“Luke, won’t you eat that?” Mom said, during dinner. It was useless though, seemed like Luke was somewhere else.

“Maybe he’s just full” I assured mom, and as if on cue Luke stood up without a word.

“Luke, open the door” I knocked on his door, yet no answer. “Luke, open the door, please” still no answer. “Luke, I said open the fucking door!” and still no answer. I went downstairs to get the spare key to his room and my jaw dropped because of what I saw. Blood was on his sheets, though Luke was nowhere to be seen. I sighed in relief when I found him curled up on his bathroom floor.

“Luke, I know this is hard but you have to accept the fact that Nate was just temporary” anger was starting to boil up in me” For fuck’s sake, you haven’t even known the guy for more than a year and it looks like you lost someone that important!”

“Because he was!” Luke voiced. I can’t even look at him in the eyes right now. His fist that was covered in blood was too disturbing. “He was like the brother I’ve always wanted, Kelsey” his words stung.

“Luke, for sixteen years, I never wished for a sister or another sibling. I was happy that I had you.” my eyes started watering, “and you just decide to throw me out for some guy who you’ve just recently met and left you? Where did the Luke that I grew up with go?” I stood up and headed to my room.

For a week, Luke and I weren’t on speaking terms. Not even waves or nods. Every night during dinner, the tension would be so thick that my mom would get up and leave. I know I was being stubborn but Nate leaving also hurt too. Did I block out everyone just because of that? No.