Whisper of Liberty (Prologue)

Prologue

The wind howled in outrage as the little girl ran, her legs stumbling on unforgiving stones and fallen branches. ‘Run my love…don’t stop until you are safe’, the words echoed around her as she sped. Where is ‘safe’?  Mama was gone now and if she didn’t find somewhere safe soon she would be gone too.  They had been on the run for what seemed like a decade but it couldn’t have been…after all, she was of that age.

Branches whipped her cheeks as she sprinted through the forest and she looked about desperately for some sort of help.  The oaks started to thin in density and soon she came to a long arching bridge. The slicing pain in her small sides burned her and her body began to riot against its controller. She had to keep going. She HAD to keep going.  It was that or death.

‘Someone must live near here,’ she thought as she pressed on. Her heart pounded so hard that she could hear it all around her. She was almost at the end of the bridge now…something must be somewhere around here. Up ahead she could make out something. ‘What is that?’ she pondered, squinting to see the figure up ahead. That was when her body gave out… it was too much.  Bump, bump, bump.  Her hear beat like a drum as the darkness enveloped her.

The mysterious little girl’s eyes moved underneath her eyelids as the warmth of the fireplace seeped into her now rosy cheeks.  Her slender fingers twitched slightly and several minutes later she awoke.  Her large eyes took in her surroundings. “Who are you?” a small voice questioned the many onlookers that circled the bed. A tall man with silver strands peeping out of the full head of curly midnight hair stepped forward and peered down at her with scrutiny. “I was going to ask you the same question actually,” He replied, his booming voice causing her to wince in terror.

“Caleb! Stop it you’re scaring the poor child!”

“Look Caterina, all I did was ask her who she was, I’m sure she can do that!”

A beautiful woman whose head barely reached his  upper arm glared up at him menacingly as he threw his hands up in exasperation and proceeded to slump into a chair in defeat. “Hello darling, I’m very sorry for my husband’s rude behaviour…he can get grumpy sometimes and for that he will get no dessert tonight”, the lady said as the man groaned loudly. The rest of the congregation snickered under their breath which was then swiftly silenced when the man growled like an animal. “My name is Caterina and you just met my husband, Caleb and this is our, um…family” the pretty lady continued, “What is your name?”

‘My name…what is my name?’ I questioned myself. “I…I don’t know”, my eyes brimmed with tears of frustration,” I can’t remember!”  The room became a sea of murmurs. The pretty lady held me and whispered something but I felt numb and scared and lost.

 ***********************************************

hi guys,

writing werewolf and/or supernatural fiction is kinda new (this is my first go) so please comment. I'd love to hear your ideas or other info and if you like it, vote so i know to keep writing :D