Michael's Return {Part 3}

"Oh Helena!" Ada hurried into the house a few hours after the sun had risen

"Oh Helena!" Ada hurried into the house a few hours after the sun had risen. She had heard the desperation in Arthur's voice over the phone, and it frightened her greatly. After waking Polly, which was a tedious task in itself, Ada had hurried her Aunt and Karl over to her brother's house, anxiously awaiting whatever threat was evident this time. 

The pair of women embraced in the hallway, soothing each other in a reassuring hug as Polly hurried by, searching for Tommy immediately. As they pulled back, Ada gripped Helena's forearms, keeping her at close range, "Your face!" She gasped sympathetically, moving a finger towards the cut as though she was going to trace it, but she never made contact. 

"What's happening? Arthur told me nothing over the phone." Ada complained, smiling gratefully at the maid who offered to take Karl to play with Charlie. Although there was a five year age gap between the boys, they still enjoyed one another's company, which was a relief for the Shelby siblings. 

Helena wiped a hand across her forehead in dismay, shaking her head with a down struck expression, "Tommy's holding a meeting for us all, he'll explain everything." She promised, squeezing Ada's hand who nodded hesitantly, following the redhead through to Tommy's office. Tommy, Arthur and Polly were engaged in a heated, yet private conversation, backs turned to the rest of the people in the room. 

Finn, Isaiah, Aberama, Bonnie and Jeremiah stood idly in one corner, waiting for the briefing that they'd been brought together for. Johnny Doggs strolled into the room in his usual upbeat mood, his positively content expression dropping when he was slapped in the face with the harsh tension of the office. He offered the two Shelby women a polite smile, moving over to stand with the other men in silence. 

The chairs were already laid out in rows, giving everyone somewhere to sit during the meeting. Last time they'd done something like this, it was when Tommy had Polly, Michael, Arthur and John arrested. Helena thought back to that day, how terrified she had been for Michael, believing she would never see him again. 

Now, she was prepared to kill him. Her blood boiled at the thought of his presence anywhere near herself or her children. He had crossed a line that she never thought was possible. 

Polly set out a dramatic sigh and walked away from the conversation, taking a seat on the front row with her arms cross firmly across her chest. Helena caught eyes with Tommy, offering him a supportive smile as he returned to his chair behind his desk. 

The others took their seats as Uncle Charlie and Curley walked in. Arthur, Finn, Ada and Helena on the front row, Aberama, Bonnie,  Uncle Charlie and Curley on the second, with Johnny, Jeremiah and Isaiah on the third. The atmosphere was tense as they waited for Tommy to speak, raising his eyes from the desk, across the group of people in front of him. 

Slowly, he got to his feet, clasping his hands together before he began, "I know it was short notice so I appreciate you getting up here so quickly, but this is urgent. Last night, two men broke into this house with the aim of taking my daughter." Everyone sat up straight, shock spreading across their faces.