Michael's Return - T.S

Eleanor Tomlinson as Helena Shelby-Green

"He's back in Small Heath?" Helena questioned as she strolled down the cobblestoned street between Thomas and Arthur. Her black, fur jacket was wrapped warmly around her shoulders as the fierce winds blew the wild, ginger curls out behind her. 

Thomas nodded begrudgingly, his voice deep as he seemed displeased with the response he had to give, "Yes, and he's bringing his American wife." 

Michael Gray and his American wife, she liked the sound of that. 

Many years before, Helena Green had caught the eye of the infamous Michael Gray on his return to his family in Birmingham. She had always been a fond presence around the Shelbys growing up, mainly known as John and Ada's very good friend who happened to be exceptionally good at balancing the books in the betting shop. 

They had toyed around for years, and Helena was even present when John was brutally killed, receiving a bullet to the shoulder herself. In her hospital bed beside his, Michael had promised Helena he would take her away to a safe haven and they would marry, but no more than a measly week later, he vanished. He disappeared to the states without so much as a goodbye or even a letter. 

So Helena did what any normal person would; she recovered, she moved on, she fell in love with his older cousin, and she married the widower Thomas Shelby. Helena couldn't be happier with her current life, and thoroughly enjoyed being a mother to Charlie and her and Tommy's own daughter, Delilah, who was only two months of age, whilst also partaking in certain elements of the business. Tommy had given her a sense of happiness and security Michael never could. 

Helena's long strides didn't falter as her eyes flickered eagerly between the two brothers as they reached the back door of the Garrison. She paused in the entry way, thanking Arthur as he pulled the door open for them to pass kindly, "Wife, wow." She chuckled softly as the word rolled off her tongue like a venomous joke, but her tone was relatively unbothered. 

The brothers dropped into step behind her as she took the well known route to the bar, rolling her eyes as she saw them whispering discreetly to each other through the long running mirror on the wall. Spinning on her heel, she leaned precariously against a single chair, raising her eyebrow at the men, "I can see you talking. Care to enlighten me?" 

"Don't miss a trick, you." Arthur sniggered under his breath as he breezed past Helena quickly to unlock the front doors of the pub. As her eyes were following Arthur, she smiled as she felt a hand weave around her waist, pulling her around to look at the oceanic eyes she had fell in love with. A slight smile lingered on Tommy's lips, but she could tell that something was concerning him with the appearance of wrinkles on his forehead and the tense stance that his shoulders held. 

Helena's expression softened as she placed a comforting hand on his shoulder, gently stroking the area around his neck to relieve the knot of stress that would soon appear. "What's wrong?" She asked in a hushed voice, hoping to get an honest response without the input of his older brother who had busied himself doing god knows what around the building.