9 ~ Not alone anymore

Chapter nine ~ Not alone anymore

~ Ishraq's point of view ~

"Hello, who is this?" I whispered answering the call from an unknown number, afraid to catch Fatenah's attention.

"Hi! This is Ahmed. I now this might sound weird, but who are you?" I was about to shriek out of astonishment for hearing his voice but avoided it when I understood the meaning of his words.

I felt a bit disappointed about the fact that he did not remember the sound of my voice. More importantly, why would he call if he did not know that it is me? Was it a mistake?

"I am Ishraq. How come you do not know that when you are the one calling me?" I was still keeping my voice low till I stepped silently out of my room to the hallway on the second floor.

I could hear his fast paced breathing and wondered if I was the cause of it, but brushed that aside. How could I be thinking like that in a situation like this, what if he called by mistake because he was in a crisis? Astagfirullah, women's voices are a part of their Aawra, because even our voices' are attractive so we should speak less in men's presence. That also meant that talking on the phone with a man was wrong, so I should end this discussion as soon as possible.

"I know you might not believe me, but I actually called you by mistake, I am utterly sorry for disturbing you when I should not. Alsalamoaleykom!" He cut the line fast enough to miss my reply.

I knew that calling someone by mistake is common, but how did he get my number, I did not have his. I resolved around the possibilities and decided that he might have gotten it from way back when we were younger, otherwise my father must have given it to him last time they met.

I went downstairs to the living room and took a seat in front of the TV. I could not stop feeling embarrassed by the excitement I felt when I heard his voice. I did not even understand the reason for which I would get excited, it was as if my body was reacting by itself. The worst part was still that he had not called me intentionally, but by mistake, so I was the only one making a big deal out of it.

As my mind was making a chaos of the matter, I decided to stay here for a while and let Fatenah finnish her painting peacefully. It was the art students' assignment to paint a geometrical painting which had to be presented on the first lesson tomorrow. I am also a part of that group until tomorrow, when I will get transferred to Ahmed's school since I made the decision of changing my major.

There was nothing specially interesting so I shut the TV and headed back to my room to accompany Fatenah. She got startled and jumpy as an action to my sudden entrance but the truth said something else. She was scrolling through her Facebook ditching her homework. She smiled sheepishly and looked at me with remorse in her eyes. I returned the smile but did not let her escape so easily.

"What are you up to when I am providing you with the space you need to finish your work. Should not you make the most out of the situation and try to get done instead of fooling around? Facebook will probably always be available, but if you do not take care of school work early on, you will not be able to turn time backwards!" I loved it when I had a chance to scold her because of the unexpected things she could bring up when we were arguing jokingly.

"I am so sorry ma'am, but you do realize that you were the one calling me over complaining that you were bound to die out of boredom? It would also be good if you at least replied to the second message which you just received." She spouted, while putting her phone away and pointing at mine, whose screen was blindingly shiny in my less lightened room.

I locked the phone up and checked my messages. Both were from Dylan. It was a bit unexpected but I still knew that he would contact me soon to get the money I promised him about. I read the first message:

~ I really need someone to talk to, will you make me the favor?

What could it be that he wanted to talk to me about it? We were mere strangers who had met accidentally once, what reason would there be to get any closer? I was so confused but the next message was a bit more relieving:

~ Do not get frightened, it is about my twin.

I still remember the way he reacted to the ring I showed him. It was so weird that someone could faint because of a ring. When I asked him about it he explained to me the meaning of it for him. His twin sister had disappeared suddenly one day. And the only thing he still remembered was of when he gave her the ring which she promised to give to her future husband. He had looked for her his entire life, but with no results. He had hoped that something like this would happen so he would get hope for finding her.

I felt a bit annoyed that he would want anything other than the money from me, I thought he was that kind of guy. I knew I should not prejudice people but I just could mot help it. I decided to meet him to make up for my groundless opinion about him.

~ Sure, when do you need me?

I thought he had already given up because of the delay, and that is mostly why I agreed, but unfortunately he replied as soon as he read the message.

~ Now :I

I wished I could get back to the peaceful days when I could spend time alone.

~•~•~