eleven

So, I actually ended up at school this fine Friday.

Just not my school.

I pulled the hoodie over my head as Charles and charted untouched territory. Slauson Hills High School.. in Los Angeles. Both of us were bored and lit last night and the idea came up.

It was a little something like:

"You feel like going to school tomorrow?"
"Shit nah, you?"
"You know I don't. But I'm tryna head to LA to see this lil thang. She go to Slauson High."
"No shit, my girl go there."
"Let's go to school then, cuh."

So, here we were. I wasn't even sure how it'd play out because obviously someone would've figured out we didn't go here right? That's what I thought but it turns out, the teachers wasn't even that attentive. Nor were the office attendants.

"Excuse me." I said, lightly tapping the counter with a charming smile, making the receptionist look up while smacking loudly on her gum. "Hi, I'm Y/n, my sister is having her time of the month and she asked me to drop her off a new set of pants but I'm not sure what class she's in."

Her eyes squinted but she started tapping on her keyboard anyway. "What's the name?"

I looked back at Charles with a smirk before facing the lady again. "Jhené, Jhené Chilombo." She typed before moving the mouse around obnoxiously. Like girl, who made you mad at today?

"She's in classroom R one-o-one, chemistry." I nodded and pushed back with another smile.

"Appreciate it, thank you." My high school didn't have lettered buildings which made it hard for both Charles and I to navigate but we weren't completely stupid. We found the room.

We both waltzed in just seconds before the bell rung and I quickly dropped at a desk in the back, Charles next to me. "You see her?" He whispered to me and I silently looked around the room before spotting her curls in a high messy bun. I nodded once and saw the spot beside her taken by a varsity jacket.

A familiar varsity jacket.. ain't this the nigga I beat up the other day at the bowling alley? I scoffed and leaned over to share the news with Charles who nodded while staring intently at the guy.

"Look, he still tryna pull moves?" I followed his gaze and watched ole boy drape his arm across the back of Jhené's chair while leaning forward to whisper in her ear.

And what did my girl do? Push him back with a scowl, purposely scooting her chair over too. I didn't even have to worry, not that I even thought I did have anything to worry about. But it's good to have a little extra reassurance.

"We gon' jump his ass after the final bell." I said and folded my hands together when he scooted close to her again. Look at this clown.. wait 'til that bell ring.

"I'm down. I ain't fought in a cool minute and that," he pointed forward. "Is just disrespect."

So, with sneaking into class, I forgot it came with actually being in class. I don't even pay attention to my own shit and this teacher just started talking about chemical imbalances. The fuck I need to know that for?

Eventually that class ended and Charles found his girl so we separated, me following Jhené to her last class but not before purposely bumping into the wannabe Jordan nigga with a jacked up ass Bobby Brown haircut. "Watch where you going cuh." I said and looked him up and down when he glanced at me. His eyes widened slightly when I circled him. "You better run your ass outta school 'cause if I see you.." I shook my head as I left him on edge, hopefully making him so worried he'd be thinking of my words for the next hour.