Chapter 10. The Fathers

Brandon decided to take the day off to watch over Kaylee to make sure she behaved and took her medicine correctly. He did not want another incident like yesterday. He sat in the living room with her feet in his lap gently massaging them and watching her practically purr like a kitten when a sharp knock startled both. He knew it had to be family or his close friends or else the guards wouldn't have let whoever it was knock on the door. He opened it prepared to see Kia, most likely, instead a large fist came flying out of nowhere. It connected right between his eyebrows and sent him flying backwards. His body hit the floor hard and heavy with a loud thud.

Kaylee gasped out loud and ran to him to make sure he was all right. She looked up to see Kale stepping into the room rubbing the fist that had punched Brandon with an angry look on his face. Aidan and Taylor walked in behind him all looking like they wanted to kill Brandon.

Kale stood over his son scowling down at him. "You piece of shit. You better be glad she's still alive or you wouldn't be able to get up off the floor."

Kaylee help Brandon stand. He rubbed his face. "That's going to leave a bruise in the middle of my face, dad..."

"Good! I hope it left the imprint of my knuckles on your forehead!"

Aidan pushed Kale out of the way and stood in front of Brandon. "How dare you try to keep Kaylee nearly getting killed from us!" He suddenly backslapped him hard and sent him flying against the wall.

Brandon slid down against it. "Aww come on!" He moaned.

Taylor suddenly stood in front of him. "Get up!" he demanded. "I'm not going to hit you."

Brandon stumbled to stand up in front of Taylor. When he finally stood straight, Taylor bent him over and kneed him in the stomach causing Brandon to gag and cough.

"Stop it! Kaylee yelled at the men. "You're killing him!"

"We're not killing him, Kaylee. He's too tough skinned to kill..." Kale said. "Just beating his ass like I promised if he ever slipped up and got you hurt."

"But it wasn't his fault! It was mine."

"It was HIS fault," Aidan told her. "It was his fault for being the "Don". You will never be completely safe with him as long as he plays that role."

"It's not a role, it's my life," Brandon told them as he stood up once again. "Fuck, I think you broke something..."

"Yes, it is your life, not Kaylee's. You continue to live your criminal life. I'm taking Kaylee with me," Taylor told him. "Come along, Kaylee. You can live with my wife and daughter you will officially be a new addition to our family. My daughter needs an older sister in her life."

Kaylee backed away when Taylor reached to grab her hand.

Brandon stood between them. "You're not taking her."

"You know we're right, Brandon. She doesn't belong here," Aidan told him.

"You will NOT take her from me," Brandon told them. This time he was serious and ready to take on all three of them if he had to.

"Aren't you being a little selfish, son?" Kale asked. "She would be safer with us."

"Don't you think I know the danger I put Kaylee in just by being with her? I worry about it every night of my life, but you can't just come in here and take her away from me! You'd have to kill me to get to her. She's the only thing that's holding me together. I need her in my life! Every single day of my life, she needs to be by my side."

"Don't worry," Aidan said. "We will make sure to have you buried in an expensive casket and we'll have Kaylee bring flowers to your grave every single day so she can be by your side."