Chapter 5. Maternal Instincts

Kaylee stared up at the gigantic luxury apartment complex knowing she was going to have to go all the way to top to reach her friend. The twins hadn't bothered to pick out a house after marrying Kia. They were all perfectly happy living in their condominium the midst of the financial district surrounded by constant activities and noise that would not be good for the little one if Kaylee's was correct with her thoughts. Then again, Kaylee could never picture Kia living in the quiet suburbs, Kia was born a city girl and would always be one which made her a perfect wife for the twins who lived and breathe their business.

It took her five minutes to get to the top. The elevator opened in front of their door which immediately slid open when she got near it. Kaylee didn't even need a key to enter their home. She was in their security system so she could come and go as she pleased just like the rest of the family. It made her feel quite special to be able to just walk in freely as if this was also her home.

"Welcome back, Kaylee," Kanna their security program suddenly appeared in front of her. Kaylee stared at the blue hologram of Kia's grandmother. She'd gotten so use to it being around that she was beginning to think of it as family. She didn't even scare her anymore when she popped up out of nowhere.

"Hi Kanna! Is Kia and the twins around?"

"The twins are at work like usual and Kia...well...Kia is in the restroom. She's been in there for quite some time. She's been sick you know," Kanna said grinning.

"Yes, I heard," Kaylee said. "Do you know why she's sick, Kanna?"

"I knew the moment she returned," Kanna said. "I told her, but she didn't believe me. She bought 12 pregnancy tests and haven't left the bathroom since. She's been in there for an hour. I think she's discovered that I was right and doesn't know how to deal with it."

"Oh gosh! Why didn't you let me know this sooner, Kanna? Do the twins know?"

"Now why would I spoil my fun by getting them involved? The hard-headed girl wouldn't believe me and now she has no choice. She's just sitting on the floor with her back against the toilet staring off in a daze. Serves her right for yelling at me."

"Kanna, you can be very cruel sometimes!" Kaylee scolded her as she rushed to find Kia.

"She's in the main bathroom so you're heading in the right direction," Kanna said trailing behind her. "She's having twins you know," Kanna burst out laughing. "Two boys just like their dads. She's been pregnant for quite a while, I have no idea how she didn't know until now, not too bright, that one."

"Stop it Kanna! Go somewhere else!" Kaylee shooed her away before she knocked on the bathroom door.

"Oh fine, you always spoiling my fun," Kanna disappeared.

Kaylee knocked on the door gently. "Kia, is it safe to come in? It's me, Kaylee!"

The door opened and Kia flew out screaming. She grabbed Kaylee's shoulders and stared at her dramatically. "Kill me!"

"What?!" Kaylee yelled not sure what to make of this.

"Do it now and make it quick!" Kia demanded.

"Ummm...no..." Kaylee said slowly. "You're not thinking clearly. I'm sure all of this has come as a shock to you even though I have no idea why when your parents and your husbands' parents obviously carry the genes for twins."

Kia covered Kaylee's mouth as if Kaylee had said something horrible.

"Eww!" Kaylee backed away from her. "Did you wash your hands? Get off me girl! You just came out of the bathroom!"

"I can't be pregnant right now! I definitely can't have twins. My life is over; do you hear me? It's over if the twins find out. There goes my future business, there goes my parties, and going out to eat at every restaurant I can think of, there goes all of my fun! I am not ready for this. Perhaps in five years I would be, but not now! I've only been married for two damn years with the twins and it's just been me and them and they've let me do whatever I want and it's been a dream!"