Bliss

The next few months were an epitome of bliss.

After that day Zayn and I were inseparable. I’d met the other boys and we’d all grown to be fond of each other but nothing compared to how I was with Zayn.

Our friendship was like wildfire, instantaneous and passionate. We couldn’t see anyone else, think about anything else or do anything other than be with each other.

Being friends with Zayn was the best thing that ever happened to me.

My eyes fluttered open and I rolled over in my bed.  I was still getting used to my apartment, courtesy of Mr. Cowell.

I smiled to myself as I slid out of my bed and walked into the bathroom.  I stared at myself in the mirror and marveled at how a few months could change so much. When I looked into the reflection I couldn’t see that girl in the dressing room of a shabby bar in Los Angeles.

My face seemed more alive, happier. I felt and looked like a whole different girl. I tied my hair back into a bun and washed my face.

I’d recorded almost four songs for my demo. I really owed a lot of my progress to Zayn and Harry. They’d taken to helping me out with my singing technique. Niall had helped me write out some of the troublesome lyrics. Louis provided us with endless entertainment while we worked.

Thinking about them made me smile; they really were the best friends I’d ever had.

The only one who was still slightly cold towards me was Liam. He wasn’t rude or anything but I could tell he had his misgiving about me. But he seemed to give me the benefit of the doubt.

My phone started to ring just as I was going to jump into the shower. I hobbled out of the bathroom and picked my phone up.

“Meoooow!” I heard Zayn yell on the other line.

I laughed to myself, I’d told Zayn how much I loved cats and ever since he’d taken to calling me Meow.

“Vas happenin’” I yelled back.

“I don’t remember allowing you to use that line!” Zayn laughed.

“I don’t remember allowing you to call me Meow!” I said walking back towards the bathroom

“What’s the plan for today?” He asked.

“I’ll be heading to the studio later on with Harry.”

“Yeah I know, but I’m not in the mood to work today.” I heard Zayn yawn.

“ZAYN JAWADD MALIK!! GET YOUR ASS OUT THAT BED THIS INSTANT!” I yelled into the phone

I heard him yelp followed by a large thud.

“DON’T DO THAT!!” he shouted.

“Are you in the mood to work now?” I laughed

“Whatever, I’ll be there in ten.” He scoffed.

I threw my phone on my bed and laughed as I walked back to my now steaming shower.

“You took long enough!” Harry said to me as I climbed into the back seat of Zayn’s Bentley.

“Zip it Styles! I’m not the one who takes two hours to fix my hair!” I threw my legs up on the seat.

“Legs off the car meow!” Zayn yelled as they pulled out of my driveway.

I stuck my tongue out at him and I watched him grin from the rear-view mirror.

“They’re going to have a fit.” Harry said, “We’re late.”

“Nah! They’ll understand, we had to pick up the princess didn’t we!”

“ZAYN! Shut it! How was I supposed to know you’d be here in literally ten minutes?” I scoffed.

“Oh excuses, excuses! Tell that to Liam and see what he’ll say!” Harry laughed.

That one had me stumped. I couldn’t really understand why Liam didn’t like me all that much but we’d all grown to just make fun out of it and push it past us.

With Zayn’s crazy driving we’d reached the studio in record time. I jumped out of the car and walked in between the two boys. It was weird how tall they were compared to me.

We walked into the studio and down the hall to our booth.  Simon had heard some of the tracks the boys had helped me with and loved it. They were working on a whole new album too so it was decided that we could work together. I’d help them with their new album and they’d help me with my demos.

We’d had a whole booth of that studio to ourselves for the past month. This was saying something because studios didn’t come cheap at all.

“What took you guys?” Louis asked us as we walked in.

“Ask the princess won’t you?” Harry said.

“Why are we making such a big deal it’s only like ten minutes!” I flopped down on the couch next to Niall, who passed me a grin.

“Ten minutes is a lot of time, studios pay big money for ten minutes.” Liam said.

That’s what I meant about the aloofness. He wasn’t ever as good- humored as everyone else was around me. There was always a lilt of discontentment in his voice. But I never understood why or what I could have done to make him feel like that.

“Let’s get to work shall we?” Niall said, diffusing the situation.

The awkwardness passed as we all started to work. We had been working on a song called “Tonight’s The Night.” for their new album.

Niall and I had written the lyrics, Zayn, Harry and Louis were coming up with the tune and Liam was in charge of the music, and of all of us.

We weren’t just making music as a team, we were making music as a family.

It was hard to believe I’d only known them for a little while, I felt like I’d grown up with them. This was way more than I’d thought I would have gotten when I’d signed that deal with Simon months ago.

This was bliss.