Shut Eye. (A Zayn Malik love story!)

AN: Okay so this is my first story on this website and also my first One Direction fanfic. I love the guys but I’m probably not the biggest fan in the world so forgive me if the characters seem a little out of character…if that makes any sense lol! I’d love to hear your honest opinions for the first chapter!! More to come REALLY soon! -Robyn

The best moments in life aren’t seen, they’re felt.  Like the beautiful dream that plays out behind closed lids, or the lips that feel just like the petals of a rose.

Those are the moments that define our lives.

Those are the moments that change our lives.

Those are the moments when we are truly aware of every single breath that we take, and how beautiful each passing moment is.

I could hear the clanging of bottles, the hoarse voices of men who were too drunk to realize what was happening.

I could feel the smooth metal running along my fingertips as I parted my lips.

And I began to sing.

The melody carried me to another place, weaving its beautiful light and lifting me to the sky. Weaving around my body and blasting into a thousand beautiful pieces all glistening in the sunlight.

The melody gushed out of me, uncontrollable and beautiful. Like the blood running through my veins.

As the song came to an end, I belted out the final notes and my eyes flew open.

When you finally start to see, the dream is shattered, the kiss broken.

I was just plain old Kiara Collins, singing in a cheap bar in Los Angeles.

As I left the stage and walked back to my dressing room, I realized no matter how beautiful it felt to me, nobody cared.

Oh how wrong I was.

I stepped into my dressing room and unhooked my earrings flinging them across the room. I sat down on the dressing stool only to be greeted by my own piercing green gaze in the mirror.

My jet black hair hung down my chest in soft wavy curls, my green eyes shaded with a light layer of make-up.  I sighed and started to wipe all my make-up off, I then slipped off my dress and changed back into my tank-top and jeans, tying my hair back in a messy bun and throwing my beige jacket on.

I packed my cellphone and earrings into my small bag and made my way back out into the bar.

I quickly rushed through the bar avoiding eye contact with any of the men in their drunken stupor and I was pushing out into the rainy street in record time.

The wind bit into my skin as I started to walk in the direction of my apartment, realizing I had loads of homework left to do.

Memories from an old life flashed before my eyes, I shook my head trying to stop myself from thinking about how my life would have been if my parents were still alive.

I was barely seventeen years old, trying to juggle school and brining in money at the same time. I lived with my aunt who spent most of her time high on some kind of drug. I hadn’t seen her in almost 4 months. For all I knew she wasn’t going to come back either.

My breath blew smoke into the air as I shuffled away from the bar, my thoughts racing to a faraway land. I was a dreamer. I believed in miracles and I loved to think that maybe all my secret dreams were actually being prepared for me and eventually I’d get to live the life of my dreams.   

I heard a car behind me and immediately my breath hitched. It was moving too slow and the road was empty. I picked up my pace and so did the car. My heart started to beat faster and I clenched my fist in my jacket pocket as I began to run.

“NO! WAIT!” I heard a male voice call out to me.

 I started to run faster.

“HOLD ON!”  

I heard the car skid to a halt, the door open and sounds of footsteps running behind me.

I knew I couldn’t run for much longer, I raised my fists to my chin and spun around and plowed the man square in the jaw.

“LEAVE ME ALONE!” I yelled as my fist contacted with the man, a sharp pain shooting up my arm.

“OH MY GOD! OW!” The man yelled stumbling back. His voice had a very British lilt to it and when I got a good look at his face my heart was in my mouth.

Oh My Lord. I just punched Simon Cowell.

“ARE YOU INSANE?!!!” He yelled as he rubbed his jaw.

I stared at him speechless, not sure how I was supposed to react.

“I’m so sorry! I had no idea! It’s late and I thoug-“

“It’s alright.”  He cut me off mid-sentence.

My heart was beating at a crazy speed as I wondered what was going to happen. Obviously I had seen him on X-Factor and I was sure he was going to practically murder him.  My knees were starting to wobble as he locked his eyes on mine.

“Could you please step into the car?” He asked.

Alarm bells went off in my head. Simon Cowell wanted me to get into a car with him?? What if he’s  a murderer. From what I’d seen on the show he very well could have been

The cold bit into my skin and I decided to take the risk.

That was the best risk I ever took in my life.

The plush town car flew gracefully in the direction of my apartment.

“My car broke down outside that horrendous bar.” Simon said as he fetched a drink from a mini-fridge fitted into the car.

He offered me a drink and I politely declined. My fingers interlinked with each other nervously. I tucked a lock of my hair behind my ear and looked up at the man.

“I really didn’t think I’d find anything useful in that dump. But then I heard you sing.”

My breath caught in my throat. Did he hear me? Was that a compliment from SIMON FRIGGING COWEL?!!

Had somebody finally noticed my talent? Were my dreams finally going to come true?

This was the beginning of my Shut-Eye.