Opportunity Of A Lifetime

The scalding coffee felt quite good.

I was sitting in my usual thinking place…underneath my table.

Ever since I was a child I hid underneath tables whenever I needed to think or whenever something bothered me.  It always felt like the biggest, calmest place to me.

I was assessing the events of the previous night, not quite believing if any of it was actually true.

Did I seriously meet Simon Cowell?!!

I put the coffee down and pulled my hair back. Butterflies were raising havoc in my belly.

After I’d gotten into the car, Simon had dropped me home and requested me to meet him for a breakfast meeting before he flew back to London.

I checked my watch and jumped, my head slamming against the underneath of the table.

“OH SHIT!!” I yelled as I rubbed my throbbing skull.

I scrambled out hurriedly and quickly rushed into my room throwing my closet open.

I didn’t have much variety when it comes to clothing so I picked out the only formal wear that I really owned, a black pencil skirt with a nude shirt and a black blazer to match.

I look ridiculous. I thought to myself as I glanced at the mirror

My hair was way too messy so I tied it back into a pony-tail. I quickly grabbed my phone and threw it into my purse as I flew out the door.

The hotel was simply magnificent. The high ceilings and the extremely plush carpets were enough for me to know that this wasn’t a place where someone like me would be found.

The people looked rich and pompous even in the morning. They walked with their heads held high and I could swear they smelled like money.

I chuckled to myself and approached the front desk.

“Excuse me?” I asked.

The lady turned towards me.

“Yes Ma-am how can I help you?” her voice was polite but I could hear a lilt of suspicion.

I groaned inwardly wondering how she was going to react to what I was about to say.

“I’m here to meet Simon Cowell.”

She raised her eyebrow and immediately picked up her phone. My heart started to beat faster as she whispered inaudibility’s into the phone.

“Through the right, take the elevator straight up to number 18.” She passed me a quick smile.

I shuffled as fast as I could to the elevators and slammed my hand on the number 18.

“Let’s keep this short.” He said.

We were sitting in the dining area of his hotel room. A scrumptious breakfast was laid out before us but I really was too nervous to eat anything.

I sipped my cup of coffee and tried to maintain eye contact. I’d read that in a book before, eye contact was essential for good business.

“You’re a good singer.” He continued, “But I don’t know if you’re going to be worth the trouble.”

My breath caught in my throat.

“I was born to make music.” I said, trying to inject as much confidence I could in my voice.

“Are you willing to give up your life here?” he asked.

“I have no life here. It’s just the bar and school.” I wanted him to know exactly how badly I wanted this. i needed to get out of this life, I needed to find myself.

Simon stared at me for a while not saying anything. It looked like as though he was simply assessing me.

“Fine.” He said.

I looked up from my coffee. “Fine?”

“Fine,” He repeated, “Next week. Monday, you’re going to board a flight to London and we’ll discuss the rest in my office. I have a flight to catch.”

I couldn’t believe my ears. This was really happening

This was it. My opportunity of a lifetime.