Where it really starts

It starts with me and my best friend,Chelsea, sitting on my class lockers. We did that everyday after class, talking about guys and other best friend subjects. On that day, we were talking about her boyfriend, Jake.

"We're gonna catch a movie later! I'm so excited!"

I stared into open space, swinging my legs and banging my heels against the locker doors.

"Ashley? Helloo??"

She waved her hand an inch in front of my face and my thoughts were brought back to reality.

"Oh yeah hey! So dinner huh. Where's he taking you?"

Chelsea rolled her eyes playfully. "I said MOVIE dude." She sighed. "Please tell me you weren't thinking about who I think you were thinking about."

My cheeks were flushed. "If you were thinking about Jason then sorry, I can't say no."

"Look Ashley." Chelsea straightened her back and turned to me. "If you really like him that much then just go tell him!"

"It's not that simple. What if he rejects me? What if he doesn't feel the same way? I'll be so embarassed... Plus our friendship will never be the same again. Our happiness will be replaced by awkwardness. Think about it."

"Ash. What's more important, Jason or your pride?"

I looked down. "I just don't wanna risk it..."

"You don't wanna risk what?" Asked a new voice.

"Jakey!" Chelsea squealed as she jumped off the lockers and hugged Jake.

"Hey", He replied with a peck on her cheek. "You ready to go?"

"Yup!" Chelsea turned to me. "Gotta go now. Have fun in your gig tomorrow!"

"Woah Ashley. Another one?" Jake asked.

I shrugged. "A band's gotta do what a band's gotta do." I said with a smile.

"Great. Knock'em dead."

The both of them walked off together and i watched them. His hand on her waist and them talking and laughing so hard it echoed through the hallway. They were such a happy couple... Why couldn't Jason and I be like them?

Overcome by jealousy, i didn't notice when my best guy friend sat beside me.

"Hey Jordan." I said to him.

"Heyy there." He smiled back. "So I heard you have a gig tomorrow."

"Yeah I do! You coming?"

"Of course I am! But I have a request."

"And what might that be,sir?"

"Make me your guest of honour and sing me a song. As my 16th birthday present huh?"

"It would be weird if i sang the Happy birthday song... I mean i'm as old as you. I don't wanna feel like a mother"

The both of us laughed.

"Ok ok! If you do then i'll let you have more chocolate fondue at my party!"

"Hey! Don't tempt me with my favourite food!"

"Why not?"

"Because i already agreed!"

Jordan jumped off the locker.

"Really? You'd do that?"

"Of course!"

Then all of a sudden i was hugged by Jordan's tight arms and i heard 'thank you's everywhere.