12. Paying off the debt

Important note: I'm not a native english speaker (nor a professional writer), and though I feel kind of comfortable with it, my level is far from being bilingual. Even so, I wanted to write this story in english so it can be reached by more people (specially Furuba fans). Please let me know any typo or mistake that I can have done in the comments of each chapter so I can polish it as much as possible. Thanks in advance and please enjoy it!

* * *

Shigure knelt in front of the sofa, with his mind blank, unable to think or say a thing. She was still unconscious, her face was pale and looked like she had enough time to assimilate what was happening to her before falling in that state. "Damn Akito!" he thought, and clenched his fists feeling powerless, defeated.

He started to feel overwhelmed and rested his arms in the sofa, closing his eyes and burying his head in his hands. "Too late... Too fucking late" he repeated, over and over.

He was too angry. With Akito, with the curse, with himself, with Hatori. With everyone and everything related to that damn zodiac thing. He was fed up, he already have had enough. His head was spinning so full of hate and retaliation that he barely managed to hear the weak voice talking to him.

- ...gure-san...

Shigure opened his eyes incredulous and looked at Nao, he thought he was just imagining things but...

- Shigure-san... - she repeated, in a breath.

Nao had woken up and looked at him with a confused expression while trying to lift her upper body with obvious difficulty.

- Nao? - Shigure forgot about formalities - Are you ok!? Can you recognize me?

Nao just nodded, wearily. She wanted to say many things at once but she felt mentally exhausted. Shigure was expectant and anxious to know what was going on but considered useless and inappropriate to rush her. After some struggling she managed to straigthen while still seating in the sofa, she faced Shigure and after taking a deep breath she managed to talk.

- He didn't do it.

- What do you mean?

- Hatori-san... he faked it. - she let the words out with some effort - When Akito ordered him to erase my memories he... - she did a little pause - He told me to pretend to pass out until they had left for good.

Shigure covered his face with his hands again, but this time in relief. Hatori had betrayed Akito's orders... despite all the risks that it implies. "Hatori... Thank you..."

- I was so scared that... - continued Nao - I just stayed like this until I heard you.

When he looked back at her, Shigure could realize how the tears had started to come out from her eyes, probably out of stress. Ashamed, Nao hurried to wipe them with the sleeve. But almost by instinct, specially after overcoming the fear of losing her, Shigure reached her face with his hand and tilted his head to kiss her cheeks humid by the tears. Nao, by the other hand, far from calming down... started sobbing more.

- P-please stop it. - begged her, while pushing him away with her hands and turning her face away.

Shigure realized that he had got carried away and now she was upset at him, so he immediately stood aside. "What the hell I'm doing, I'm an idiot...". But before he could apologize to her, Nao continued talking.

- I... I know you and Akito are in a relationship... - confessed her - And when you do these things... you're not only hurting Akito - she hesitated - but also me...