04. Getting to know you

Important note: I'm not a native english speaker (nor a professional writer), and though I feel kind of comfortable with it, my level is far from being bilingual. Even so, I wanted to write this story in english so it can be reached by more people (specially Furuba fans). Please let me know any typo or mistake that I can have done in the comments of each chapter so I can polish it as much as possible. Thanks in advance and please enjoy it!

* * *

Although the little incident, the evening of the festival made a great memory for all of them. They all met again once the fireworks were finished. Tohru was a bit worried about Nao being lost at the last minute, but got relieved after knowing that she had been found safe and sound by Shigure.

In the way back home, after they parted ways with Uotani and while they were scorting Hana to her home, Nao took the chance to thank Shigure for his help earlier that night. She slowed down her steps to catch up with him, who was walking absentmindedly a little further back.

- Uhm... Shigure-san... - she called him, to draw his attention.

- Mmh? - Murmured him, like waking up from a dream. And noticed Nao walking by his side.

- I haven't been able to properly thank you for your help. You know, with that incident before... - remembering that brought to her mind Shigure's words, calling her 'his girlfriend', and couldn't help but blush once again - Well... Thank you, for everything.

Shigure smiled gently, pleased by the candidness of her voice.

- It's no big deal, really. I'm actually sorry that these kind of guys don't get a negative if it comes from a girl's mouth. So annoying... - Nao felt an uncommon sincerity when hearing him saying this. Shigure was definitely difficult to read, always pretending to be far from all concern, but there were some moments where he couldn't hide his kind-hearted nature.

- But you know... It's not only that. But all you have been doing for me since I arrived. Helping me, and letting me stay at your place and all that... - she hesitated for a moment - I feel like I'm accumulating a big debt with you, and I don't know how to pay you back.

He laughed - We'll figure out a way! - said, back to his usual joking attitude.

Then Nao remembered the incident with Shigure's editor and recall discovering about him being a writer that morning.

- Ah! I also wanted to ask you... Is it true that you work as a novelist, Shigure-san? I've even heard that you are a renowned one! - She couldn't hide her excitement.

- Ahhh... so you have discovered my deepest secret - He pretended to be annoyed so theatrically that Nao couldn't avoid to laugh.

- But I'm being serious. I would really love to read one of your novels! - Nao said, a bit out of the blue. He stared at her, like she was demanding something irrational.

- And why is that? - He asked, intrigued by the sudden interest.

- Well... It may sound weird, but I feel like that way I could get to know you better. - And like if she was saying something too cheeky, suddenly had the urge to look away to finish the sentence.

This straightforward affirmation caught Shigure by surprise, but somehow made him feel uplifted.

- Ok then, I'll grant you that wish. - He concluded and tried to smile. But realizing that this was the first time that he could remember anyone making the effort to "know" him, flipped some switch inside him.