Chapter Eleven, Far From Home

"River. River, wake up." His voice tore her from sleep as her eyes slowly adjusted to the dim light shining in through the window. It was likely early in the morning, where the sun was just barely rising. Memories of the night before drifted in and out of her mind. Her face was still slightly pink as those memories came back. "What is it?" She asked him quietly, still in a daze.

"They found us. I don't know how-but they found us."

Her gaze drifted towards the window, causing her heart to drop and shatter into a million pieces. He was right... they were there. At least twenty four boats were aligned on the ocean's horizon, each likely containing a large number of men. Wood's expression was serious, and although he tried to hide it- he was fearful. She sat up quickly once his words sunk in. She was about to say something when a thud came from downstairs. "They're at the door! We have to move!" He quickly shoved his shoes back on his feet as she scrambled to grab her uniform and signature hat. Downstairs, River could hear their crossbows being thrusted against the iron door. "I bet stone is with them. Otherwise they couldn't have found us!" Wood growled, both panicked and irritated. Once they were fully dressed again, River turned to him. "Grab the map that's sitting on the table down in the library, and also some food for the journey! I'll grab armor and other materials! Go!" She ordered. Wood did so, rushing down the stairs whilst the banging continued. River frantically ran into the storage area and threw her satchel over her shoulder before tossing in her emeralds, compass, tools, and extra coal in case they needed to build a fire somewhere. If she had more time, she would've grabbed her crafting table as well. Dashing into the armory, she realized she couldn't leave her armor behind. Therefore, she placed down her satchel for a moment. Approaching the armor stand that was covered by a tarp, she yanked it off to reveal a set of shimmering, pure diamond armor. The bangs from downstairs grew louder and louder, followed by a few yells, "SURRENDER YOURSELVES!" Stone's voice called out. Just as she placed the diamond helmet on her head, Wood entered the room with everything she had asked him to get.

When he looked at her, he was surprised at what he saw. Sure, he had seen her in iron armor before, but never diamond. Even when fighting his kind, her appearance was always humble. The chest plate, leggings, and boots outlined her silhouette perfectly. He would've marveled at it for a little while longer if it hadn't been for the strangers at the front door. Before he could speak, a loud agonizing crash was heard from downstairs. "We're outnumbered. We have to get out of here! Follow me." River whispered sharply. Wood nodded, "Lead the way." With that, they began to make their way down the hallway as quietly as possible. Commotion could be heard downstairs. She could hear items being knocked off of shelves and additional storage closets being cracked open like an egg. Her only hope was that they wouldn't kill her livestock. She led Wood back into the storage room. At first he was confused, but then he watched as she moved a doubled chest out of the way to reveal a trap door. Multiple footsteps could be heard coming up the stairs. "Down the ladder, quick!" She instructed. Wood did so without question. The sack of supplies around his arm was dropped down as he hurriedly lowered himself into the darkness. River followed behind him, lowering herself down as well before dragging the chest back over the trap door as a means to hide the opening. Just as they were successfully climbing down, into the dark, the footsteps had approached the storage room. "Keep going." She whispered down at him, trying to move so that her armor caused as less sound as it could. "I built this tunnel years ago in case something like this was to happen."

They eventually reached the bottom of the ladder, where a slightly dimmed tunnel alit with torches awaited them. It smelled old and ancient, as if the tunnel had been there since the beginning of time. Wood's feet echoed against the floor as he stepped down. It had taken a long time to reach the bottom. They were likely at least two hundred feet below the surface. When he looked over his shoulder, he was surprised to see a beautiful black steed, tied to a fencepost. River jumped down after him, gesturing toward the horse she said, "This is Midnight. Let's saddle up. It won't take them long to figure out what happened to us."