Chapter Nineteen, Home

Wood stood quietly on the beach just as the sun was rising over the trees of the east. The water was up to his knees as he stood barefoot in the sand, taking in the shallow water. In front of him, the waves were calm and steady. And in his hand, was a single yellow rose. His face was solemn, and his eyes were full of grief. While his lungs breathed in the salty air, he looked at the structure in the distance. The home that belonged to her would no longer be full of life... but he planned to still keep it maintained. She wouldn't have wanted it to be abandoned like the dusty old mineshafts and temples left to rot. A few tears rolled down his cheeks. He knew he'd never forget her. Her smile, her bravery, her passion... She believed in him. She trusted him even when he didn't deserve it. She introduced him to how amazing life could be. He lowered his hands into the salty water, allowing the rose to float away. As he let it go, he closed his eyes with pure sadness. He wanted to hold her again. He wanted to stroke her long golden hair and hold onto her until time itself was meaningless. Was time worth anything now that she was gone? Was life worth pursuing? These were the questions that drove him mad to the bone. Words couldn't describe how much he missed her. The tiniest things about her were eating at him from the inside. In the middle of his internal battle, a sound came from behind him. At first he thought it was just the sound of nature, but then a flash of light came with it.

He turned around, shocked at the sudden change. What was it? Was it an enemy? Or was it an illusion? He raised his hand to his brow, shielding his eyes from the overbearing light. Ahead of him, just on the edge of the sand stood a figure- a female silhouette. For the moments he was blinded, he couldn't tell who it was, but once he did, he couldn't believe his eyes. His eyes widened as his lower lip dropped slightly. The light faded, softly revealing none other than River herself!

She stood for a moment, looking at her hands, then at her body, feeling around. Unlike Nirvana, she could truly feel the breath back in her lungs as if she had never lost it in the first place. On her face was a big grin and a relieved expression once she realized she was back. Looking up, her eyes met his. That was when the sun itself stopped moving in the sky. For a moment they stared at one another, both unsure if what they were seeing was real. But then, she broke the silence with that same familiar voice he was yearning for. "Wood?...... WOOOOOOD!!!!!" She shouted, running towards him with tears of joy in her eyes. "RIVER!!!" He shouted back, trying to run as fast as he could through the water, almost tripping several times. When the water was up to his ankles, she ran right into him- causing both to fall onto the ground with a splash. River landed on top of him, but he didn't mind at all. "Oh wood! You'll never believe what's happened to me!" He silenced her with a kiss, "R-River I thought I'd never see you again!" He replied in between kisses, wrapping his arms around her into an embrace. He never wanted to let go of her ever again for as long as he lived. "I missed you so much!!! W-Where have you been all this time!? Oh River! Never scare me like that again!!!" He murmured, beginning to place kisses on her cheek and on her hair. Rolling over, he managed to position himself back on top of her. She laughed and cried at the same time, letting him tackle her playfully. "N-Notch sent me b-back as a reward! He said he was proud of me! Of us!" she giggled, wrapping her arms around his neck as he lovingly pecked at her face. Finally, she slammed her lips onto his. He gladly returned it passionately. "N-never leave me again! After we left the End- I-I went back to Pieces to deliver the news of your death! Stone went farther south to Cadia village to do the same! BUT YOU'RE BACK! I'm so glad you came home to me!" He panted. "I thought I lost you forever!" His words made her tear up even more, "Fate promised me you, remember?" She repeated one of the first things he had ever told her. Eyes softening, He wiped away their tears before giving her a final kiss on the edge of her lips.

Although they were soaked from the water, it didn't matter. Pulling away, he smiled affectionately at her, "River?" He asked. "Yes?" She smirked. "I know I don't have a ring right now but..." He trailed off, eyeing the yellow rose that had somehow floated back to shore. The waves slowly pushed it until it rested on the wet sand beside them. He backed away, letting her sit up before offering the flower to her. "This was supposed to be a goodbye gift but now it's an 'I can't be happier you're back gift' and I know it isn't much but..... Will you marry me?" He asked. River looked at the flower then back at him. It took less than a second for her to squeal excitedly, "YES!!!! YESYESYESYESYES!!!! Oh Wood!" She knocked him over yet again in a fit of laughter. While kissing, he placed the rose gently in her hair. River gently touched it, savoring the moment. Out of all the lives she had lived, no one had ever gifted her with a flower before. Laying there in the coolness of the morning waves, she felt as if she had been born again. As crazy as it sounds, she felt happier than ever before in that same moment. Her first day in Minecraftia had been a terrifying one full of undead, pain, and hardships, but now the world seemed almost sweeter. There are no words to describe how reborn she felt.

After a while of kissing right there in the waves, they eventually stood up and made their way home. Together, they planned to journey back to Cadia village in two days to deliver the good news. For once, no worry clouded their minds. The joy of not having to fight anyone made both feel calm in some sense. As predicted, Wood was in awe of what she told him. River told him about Notch's realm, Nirvana, and how she had arrived there seconds after being killed. She told him every word exchanged between herself and the god, including how they could only communicate by thought. It all fascinated him. One of the first things he asked her was what Notch was truly like. Was he all-powerful and majestic or was he simple and wise? She answered his questions as best as she could, but in the end she simply said, "Let's go home." Wood agreed with her, even though it was hardly noon. "I feel like it's been ages since I've been there..." River added. "I feel the same way. Things will be different now that Stone is the Chief of my tribe. Perhaps I can visit in between homes from now on. Maybe you can come and stay with us for a while after we're wed." Wood brought up happily as they boarded the boat. River smiled at the idea, but she had an even better one. "I'd like to leave, actually."

"What?" Wood questioned, confused as to what she meant. "Yes. As much as I love this place... and I know I worked hard to build it... I don't think it's where I belong anymore. I belong with you, Wood. Most of the possessions I've acquired mean nothing to me now that I've reached my goal of killing the ender dragon. I want to get away, help others the way I helped the world coexist with its unforgettable history. We can always come back and visit... but there's so much out there. I say we leave all of it behind to find something, new adventures, and new joys. What do you say?" She asked. Wood looked at her, admiring her words. He stopped rowing the boat as it collided with the front porch of the house. "I'm coming with you no matter what. But... what will become of this place? It seems a shame to just abandon it until next time." He said. River thought for a few moments, but then her eyes lit up. "We can give it to Pisces Village! Edward and Elias said they would need a place to stay in order to create a port on this side of the valley! If they could establish it here, all the southern villages wouldn't have to worry about famines or harvests as much if they can have salmon to eat instead." She gleamed at him as they made their way inside the house. "We'd be killing two birds with one stone!" River chuckled happily. "That is a great idea." Wood smiled warmly. After all, she was right. "It would help the southern tribes too. Once we get rid of any tension, that is." He thought out loud. "I can't wait to meet them! Your family, I mean." River exclaimed.

They went on to talk about what they'd do next, where the wedding would be, what they'd do afterwards. But then, in the mist of it all, they went right back to enjoying the present moment. Since she had just returned, he offered to cook lunch. When she objected, they compromised. He'd cook the meat while she'd prepare a freshly made cake. She told him to pick whatever meat he wanted from the pantry, so he chose steak just like the meal they had eaten when they first met. Together, they walked upstairs, climbing up the ladder in her bedroom that led to the rooftop. While he hadn't been up there before, he admitted it felt familiar just like the rest of the house. On the rooftop, there was a table, logs that served as chairs, and a telescope that sat on the edge of it. "I'm starved! Coming back from the dead is hard work!" She said, making Wood laugh. "I haven't eaten either, you know. After you died I... it was really hard to eat anything." Once seated, they dug into their food. They sat side by side, biting into the juicy steak. Wood was a good cook, whether he realized it or not. Satisfied with their full stomachs, she found herself leaning onto him with her head on his shoulder. "When Notch said he'd reward me, I told him I couldn't imagine anything better than this." She whispered loud enough for him to hear. He wrapped his arm around her, gently hugging her close. His other hand rested on her thigh as he leaned with his head on top of hers. Nothing could've stopped him from smiling. "I guess he's more than just a crazy old man in the clouds, huh?" His remark motioned back to what she last said about the god. "Alright, alright." She chuckled softly. "Well, we still have half the day ahead of us."

"Good. Now I finally have time to hold you." He replied. She felt his heartbeat escalate slightly, but in a good way. "I thought I lost you, River. You have no idea how grateful I am that you're back. Losing Coal, and then you... I... I wasn't sure how I'd live out the rest of my life." He said into her hair. "Wood, I'm here now. I'm never leaving you ever again..." she looked upwards at him, planting a small kiss on the bottom of his chin. Her smile made him smirk tenderly. Even though they both felt like napping, she had the audacity to say, "How about we continue what we started on the beach? What do you say?"

Woodlooked down at her with a flirtatious look, "As you wish."