Chapter Thirteen, A Story of the Past

Elder Adair lived at the very edge of Pisces Village on top of the largest hill that overlooked the rest of town. His cabin was humble on the outside, but on the inside there was far more worth. River had only been there once when she had first met him, and again when she had to evacuate the entire village from a previous raid. As she and Wood followed Patrick through the snow, it was already dark with nothing but the stars above them. "Be on the watch for strays, they like to ambush this hill often even with the light." Patrick stated as he held a lantern in front of them. Wood nodded and watched their surroundings. In the distance he could make out the few silhouettes of undead skeletons roaming with their blank white eyes and drafty bows that clanked and echoed throughout the valley. He guessed those were strays, not too different from the undead back home. Upon reaching the cabin door, Patrick knocked twice. It was just beginning to snow again as an old voice could be heard from the other side. "Enter."

The spruce door creaked open, inviting them in. River was the first to enter, followed by Wood. Immediately the air became much warmer. The scent of firewood, tea, and various spices entered their noses. Wood's eyes widened slightly as they stepped inside. There were several shelves with potion ingredients, books, minerals, and so many other items he didn't know existed. Plants that looked like they didn't belong in a snow biome were nestled above them safe and warm, with a few vines that fell down from the ceiling like curtains. In the center of the room was a man that had a deep violet hat along with loose, cyan robes. He had a rather long beard that almost reached his stomach, and eyebrows that were whiskery and sharp. His face looked kind and wise. However, his eyes were glassy grey, proving that he was blind. "Elder Adair, how nice to see you again." River smiled, taking the old man's hand in hers. "Ah, River. It has been many moons since I've heard your voice, come, please sit. I'm sure you and your friend are tired." He calmly turned his head to Wood. Even though he couldn't see, he was certain that Wood was there. "Thank you." River replied, motioning for Wood to sit next to her on the cushions in front of the elder villager. Now sitting Indian style, they both awaited for their host to speak. River removed her hat, and Wood placed his crossbow aside. "You have many questions, Wood." Elder Adair said, breaking the silence. "How do you know that?" Wood asked, intrigued. "Notch has told me why you've come here, and why you must be on your way. I know of all the enemies you've made and why you must stop them. I know of your love, your hate, and your desires. He also told me of how River had come to be at the very beginning. Despite all of this, I am not all-knowing for my sight comes from Notch himself." Adair explained.

That got her attention. "Elder Adair, please. I've given up trying to figure out why I'm here, why I'm the last of my kind. That's not important right now! My only purpose is to save those around me. We need to get to the end so we can save everyone including ourselves. If you know anything about this end, this other dimension, please tell us." River said, worry clouding her voice. "I will, child. I will." He answered. "But if you want to know what happens next, you must first know what happened before. I know that you're scared. You fear that what I tell you will affect your love for him." He motioned to Wood, who instinctively took her hand a few moments after the weight of Adair's words sunk in. "Rest assured, what I have to say is useful. It will only hurt you if you let it. Would you like to know what I've learned?" The old man asked. River breathed deeply, but nodded. She looked at Wood for reassurance, who returned her gaze with calm eyes. Wood turned to him and said, "Yes. Tell us everything."

"Good. There isn't a moment to waste..." He inhaled before closing his wrinkled eyes.

"It began long ago... in a new world. Notch created an ancient race of builders, people that were advanced in every way. They could build, hunt, fight, and kill whenever they wished and whatever they wished. This race was so magnificent they could do almost anything. Notch loved them dearly, and they loved him too. But these were not the only inhabitants of the world, no. For Notch had also created villagers to interact, trade, and to keep this advanced race happy with their lives. And for a while, peace prospered... until the dark times came." Elder Adair said solemnly before continuing, "Some villagers began tampering with things mankind was never meant to tamper with. They began experimenting with magic that brought pain to those that interfered. Their meddling caused disease, violence, and pestilence that spiraled out of their control. Word has it that Herobrine himself had secretly lended a hand or two in this chaos even from his exile in the nether. Notch saw what was happening to his people, and so he helped the builders to outcast any illagers that were causing trouble. This advanced race wiped them out, killing them like a wolf among sheep. The surviving illagers fled to the forest, to the dark oak trees that would cause their skin to pale and force their lives to be forgotten. They lived in the wilderness, waiting for the right moment to strike. They tried to replicate the builders' tactics in their mansions of darkness, but could never figure out how to get their revenge. Until Herobrine fed them the idea to create something so terrible, it would force their entire race to go underground."