Chapter Four, Home at Last

The next few days were peaceful to say the least. After the battle at the river, Attalla had thanked her for rescuing him along with the other villagers. She didn't tell them about her run in with the two spider jockeys, and she most definitely didn't tell them about the deal she made with Wood. Although they asked her if she could stay longer, her heart was rested on going home. So that was exactly what she did. Saddling up Ziggy, they began the journey.

Galloping past the river, they journeyed through the forest and into the spruce wood trees. The air was thicker here, and the terrain was slightly harder to navigate due to the moistness of the muddy ground. Aside from the foxes and occasional wolves, nothing else lived here. Together, they passed through the abandoned village of Tampa, by far the eeriest place she had ever visited. The old, cobwebbed town lay right in the center of the thick woods. When she first discovered it, it was obvious that the place was raided since she couldn't find a single bed or chest in sight. The only thing she did find was the decaying, groaning corpses of the undead villagers that were left unburied. It was never a nice place to stop in. As soon as they made their way out, the eeriness left them like a lifted curse. Farther and farther they rode. It took at least a day's journey just to reach home. Eventually, they crossed another river and landed in another part of the grassy plains that bordered the spruce forest. Finally, they could see the sun's light fully. Not only that, but the sunflowers that grew seemed to put her in a good mood. Passing the flowery fields, they could finally see a beautiful outstretched beach in the distance along with their destination. "We're home." She said to Ziggy, who huffed and neighed with glee as he slowed down to a walking gallop. Home, as they both called it, was a wonderful place. It was a house that was built on top of the ocean water, one mile away from the beach. She had built it on a small island, but anyone who saw it wouldn't be able to tell. From a viewers' perspective, it appeared as if it was floating on its own. The reason it was so far out was because she knew that it was less likely for the creepers and the undead to reach her. Around the bay was a beautiful river that flowed past the plains and into the forest. And ever so slightly, the mountains could be seen on the opposite end of the gulf. Upon reaching the beach, there was a boat awaiting them. As always, Ziggy got in first, then she rowed from behind him.

The only downside to living on the ocean was the drowned. The drowned are, or at least were, the undead walkers that dared try to reach her safe haven. They paid the price by becoming creatures that lurk in the deep waters of the sea. Luckily, they didn't attack boats. The only thing they would attack was a rouge swimmer or perhaps an unlucky sailor thrown overboard. The weather was cloudy, but it was clear enough to be considered a good day. Even the waves were at peace as they silently crashed onto the wood of the boat. Approaching the dock of her home, she breathed the ocean air with satisfaction. Once she tied it to the post, Ziggy trotted out. The house was an odd building to say the least. It towered so high, the clouds sometimes hid the very top. The front porch acted like a dock of some sort, where she could fish from if she so desired. The front doors were made of iron, forged by her very own two hands. It acted as a precaution just in case any monsters did indeed make it all the way out there. They made their way inside, into the woody smell of her living room that contrasted from the salty air of the sea. Off to the side, was a large opening that led into that of a barn area that was also expertly built on top of the water. This was where Ziggy went off to while she continued farther in. The living room was colorful, with a blue woolen rug and a few extra tapestries that fell from the walls. There was a furnace, a crafting table, and even a large chest that sat by another double oak door. That door however, didn't lead to anywhere in her home. Instead, it had an unlit, obsidian portal behind it. Anyway, she continued to the stairs in order to make her way to the storage room as well as prepare herself for a much needed hot meal. She passed the small kitchen, the automated indoor farm, the armor room, and the library until she finally reached the room that was filled to the brim with chests.