Chapter Eighteen, Father?

Why is it so bright? Is the battle over? Had we won? Did I really do it? Wait a minute... Where am I? Why do I feel so... light? My eyes open without struggle, easy as a feather. I feel as if I should be worried or maybe panicking instead. But... there's a stranger feeling to it all. I don't know what to call it. Is it peace or fear? Or is it both?

I squint at first, but oddly enough the brightness adjusts almost instantly. That's when I feel my body come to its senses like I have awakened from a long blissful sleep. I'm a little scared. How long have I been here? I look down at my body, expecting to feel pain only to realize that I'm fine. With a soft hand, I touch my collar bone, and then drag it down to feel the buttons of my clean uniform. I'm not hurt anymore. There's no more blood, and I'm fairly sure I've been healed by something... or someone. I look at my feet, my legs, and I continue to feel my hair and my head to make sure I'm still here. When I don't touch anything, it almost feels like I'm a ghost or perhaps I'm invisible. Beneath me and around me all I see is sky. Is this Heaven? I think to myself. Everything is still. There's no wind and there's also no sun. It seems as if the brightness is coming from everywhere. It's so beautiful... I feel warm, but I also feel hazy. I feel as if I can fall asleep standing. I touch the tip of my hat, grateful it is still there. I blink and begin to walk, thinking about Wood. I know that's where the faded feeling of sadness is coming from, but I can't cry. I don't know why there are no tears even though I want to sob and scream my eyes out. It is a little torturous, even though I knew this had to be the heaven. At least, I hope this is heaven. I stare at the floor that doesn't exist. There are clouds below me, fluffy and white in contrast to the clear blue sky. As lonely as I thought I should feel, I sensed I wasn't alone.

"Hello, River." I hear a man's voice say.

I take my time to comprehend the voice, turning around to face the source. When I do, I find myself face to face with none other than a man.

He's a very plain looking man, with a chocolate brown tunic and a white robe. He has worn-looking trousers and a soft pair of boots. His face is kind, and I can tell by the look in his dark eyes that he means me no harm. However, something about him seems familiar. From the baldness of his head to the thick dark beard on his chin, I feel like I should know him. His face is too friendly to forget. He walks in front of me, standing less than five feet away. I don't move, rather, I try to remember where I've met him before. Was he a villager? A merchant? A wandering trader? Who was he? In the middle of my predicament, he looks at me and smiles wholeheartedly. That's when I realize it. If I still had a beating heart, it would've exploded into a million pieces by now. I open my mouth to speak, but when I talk, the sound doesn't come out. I'm confused now. Did my voice not work anymore? Was I doomed to be forever mute? I hear a warm chuckle coming from the man in front of me. I look back at him like a curious child. "Don't be afraid. In this realm, we communicate by thought." I hear him speak again, this time watching as his mouth doesn't even move. I feel relaxed by his voice, but I'm still unsure. I think really hard before I press my lips closed, saying through my mind, "Where am I?" I can tell he received the question, because there was a change in his eyes. "You died. You are now here, in my realm of Nirvana, between reality and all things Minecraftian." He answered me calmly. That's when it hit me. My eyes widen, and I stare at him wondering how in the world I didn't recognize him before. "Father? Is it really you? Are you Notch?" I ask a little too quickly. He keeps his calm posture and grin, nodding at me like a proud parent. I don't know how to feel. When I look at him, I feel both sadness and happiness, maybe a little resentment too. I wonder why. I wonder why he created me just to live and die a miserable death. Why did he take me away from the one I loved the most? Despite all these emotions, I know I can't dwell on them... not here.

I find myself on the floor, kneeling down to him in an amateur curtsy. I don't know what I'm expecting. I'm so caught up in my own thoughts that I don't notice him taking a seat on the floor in front of me. With his hand, he tells me tranquilly to look up at him. I do so. He's now frowning slightly, as if saddened by my attempt to show respect. "Why are you bowing to me?" He questions. I don't know what to say except, "Sorry... I'm.... I'm just... It's nice to meet you." I probably sound stupid. After all, this is the God of Minecraftia, the person that created me and that's all I could say? I want to say I love him, that I did my best, that I wanted him to hug me like the fatherly hug I never got, but at the same time I wish I could go back. I want to go back. Notch looks at me, smile slowly returning. He wraps his arms around me, unexpectedly bringing me into an embrace. I don't know why, but I hug him tight. Whatever tears I was missing before finally come to me as they flood my face, evaporating into the clouds I see below me. My whole life, I wanted him and here he was. It's overwhelming... "I love you too, my child. I am sorry that I couldn't embrace you sooner." He says to me.

As I sob, he waits patiently. I don't know why I'm crying, I don't know if they're sad or happy tears. Maybe they're both?

I feel as if I've been in his arms for all eternity. By the time, we pull away, I feel like the weight of a boulder was just lifted off of me. "I-Is Wood alright? Did I save them?" I ask, hoping he had a good answer. Notch closes his eyes for a moment and nods, giving me a proud smile, "Of course. He is safe back in the overworld. The dragon is vanquished, and the battle is won. You have fought valiantly, and the land is forever grateful for your feats." He helps me to my feet again, even though I could've fallen asleep right there on the invisible floor. "You, my daughter... will be rewarded." Notch tells me. I look at him, wondering what he could mean. Half of me doesn't know what he's talking about. Rewarded? What could he possibly give me while I'm still dead? There's only one thing I want, and that's to see Wood again. I want to marry him and spend the rest of my life with him. Notch stares at me, reading my mind with his soft, dark eyes. I don't mind it. In fact, I gladly let him into my head for I have nothing to hide. He then smiles again, placing one hand on my shoulder. Before he could speak to me again, I ask one final question, "If I'm truly dead... shouldn't I stay? Won't I just respawn over and over again like before if you send me back, doomed to never see you again?" I ask. "No. If you wish to respawn, you will, but if you wish to return to me, I will make it happen." He confirms my suspicions. I feel as if I could burst with excitement after hearing him say it. This means I can go back! This means I can still grow up with Wood and we can die an old happy couple together! As ecstatic as I am, I watch him look at me with a happy chuckle. I'm so happy I don't even think twice. Throwing my arms around his neck, I tell him, "Thank you! Thank you so much!" He looks surprised at first, but warms up to me quickly. After the hug, he puts a hand on my shoulder. I look him in the eyes, still a little teary myself.

He tells me, "You must go home now, child. There's someone special waiting for you."

I nod, lowering my head as an additional thanks. As his hand begins to glow with the lightest light of all, I feel the gravity of my body coming back. I close my eyes and let it engulf me, almost too excited and grateful to stand still...