Chapter 13

16.216 words, 2 months, and a whole story later ladies and gents we have the concluding chapter of the story. 

 The party after the wedding happens at our house. Tobias and mine. We invited only our close friends but the house is still almost full. Christina and Will haven't arrived yet but while waiting for them Tobias and I get to spend time together. "Can you believe it finally happened? After everything we've been through, every time we fought or something came between us. After doubting it would ever happen. Here we are. You're finally mine and I'm finally yours. Forever." Tobias tells me. Everyone is setting up the food so we sit on the stairs for privacy. "I really can't, but it's true. It's real." His eyes glisten with tears. "I love you, Tris." He holds my hand and looks into my eyes. "I love you too, Tobias."

 Before we can say anything else there is a knock on the door. "I'll go get it," I say and get up to answer the door. I look around the room before reaching the door. Everyone but Will and Christina are here. It must be them. But the person behind the door is not my best friends. The person standing before me is the last person I expected to see. "Evelyn," Tobias says behind me. Our guests stare at her from the kitchen in shock. "I thought she was dead!" Someone says.

I haven't seen Evelyn since her fake funeral. Tobias told me she wasn't dead but I had no idea that she would show up again. Especially not here. I know she must have heard about the wedding but who knew she would come?

I haven't moved or said a word since she walked through the door. All I do is stare. "W..what are you doing here?" I blurt, finally asking the question everyone is wondering the answer to. "I'm here to see my son. Is Beatrice here?" I know she's been living with factionless for the past decade but there is no way she has no idea what I look like. "I'm Beatrice," I tell her calmly. She looks me up and down before speaking again. "May I come in?" She asks. "Absolutely not." Someone in the back says. It's my father. Tobias is looking down with a tense expression, trying to process what's going on. "Tobias, please. You know-" She starts but Tobias cuts her off. "No. You left me.. You left me with him and got away yourself. How can I ever forgive you for that? Tris is the reason why it's better now. I don't want you to mess everything up again." He tells her. "I've changed Tobias! I'm stronger now, I won't leave you, I promise." Evelyn pleads. "Just leave..." He says quietly. Evelyn looks at him, hurt. "I know I made a mistake. I just want to say I'm sorry, congratulation." She turns around to leave but before she turns I catch her look at me with hatred. The look sends chills down my spine. I close the door and turn back to our guests. "I think it's time to eat." I say and everyone goes back to what they were doing. "She must have heard when everyone was talking about us at work," Tobias says. I hold his arms and wait for him to look at me. "She's gone now. Let's just enjoy our night, okay?" he nods and I lead him over to the table.

Christina and Will come right before we start eating and congratulate Tobias and I about our marriage. "I can't believe you guys can get married at 17! I mean, that was basically unheard of in Candor." Christina tells me. "I think it's unheard of in all the factions, except Abnegation." Will says, we laugh. "Life is so boring here getting married young is the only thing that can bring something interesting." Will nods in agreement but Christina still disagrees. "I'm getting married at 22 minimum." We all laugh. "What if you met the right person before that?" Will asks. She thinks for a second. "Then he better wait." With that, she ends the conversation and we continue to eat our food.

After dinner, we help clean up and then most people leave so there are only a few of us left. For a little while we all talk and hang out but eventually, it's just Christina, Will, Tobias, and I. "So, what's causing the complicated face, Tobias?" Christina asks. He comes out of his daze and replies, "Nothing.". "His mother came," I answer. Will and Christina look shocked, unsurprisingly. "I don't want to talk about it." Tobias glares at me so I change the subject. "So.. What's going on with you guys?" I raise my eyebrow at Will and Christina. Will blushes. "Nothing." Christina says plainly. I cross my arms. "It's nothing big, we like each other but we aren't dating." Will explains. Tobias and I look at each other. "Why?" He asks. "Because we aren't ready to. That's all." Christina says. We nod then sit in silence. "Well I'd better go. It was really fun today, thank you for inviting us." Christina says. We get up to lead them to the door and say goodbye.

As soon as we close the door Tobias smiles at me. He's up to something. He walks over to me and kisses me. After a second he stops and asks, "What time is it?" "7:56" I reply after looking at my watch. "We don't have much time then, hurry and put your shoes on. I have a surprise for you." I put my shoes on excited and nervous at the same time. Where is he taking me? We run outside. The cool air refreshes me as we run hand and hand to who knows where. I've never run this fast before but it doesn't bother me. It comes naturally like I'm meant to do it. The wind is blowing in my hair and I search my mind for the perfect word to describe the feeling. 

Alive. 

We run for a mile until Tobias stops. The area is familiar. Where the Dauntless jump off the train to get to school. The train station. "What are we doing here?" I ask, out of breath. I don't know how I ran so far without noticing how tired I was getting. It's like his hand sent energy through my veins and kept me going. He takes my hand and looks at his watch. "Do you trust me?" I hold his hand tight and reply, "Of course," I see a light in the distance. It comes closer and closer by the second and I realize what he's doing. Someone else might be scared to death right now. How would I jump on the train? I'm not Dauntless. I'm a selfless and small Abnegation who couldn't jump on the train for her life. She isn't me. I might be Abnegation but that's only a group, and it can't define who I am. I am not Selfless, or brave, or kind, or smart, or honest. I'm Beatrice Prior. I'm Divergent.

The train is coming and I get ready to jump. "On the count of three," Tobias says. "One," The train is just a few meters away. "Two," It passes by us and the wind blows my hair back. "Three!" We start to run to catch up to a cart and jump together to hold the handle beside the cart for support then swing into it. I fall and struggle to breathe but I feel so alive. So free.

"You know this is illegal right?" I tell Tobias. I sit up and he scooches over to sit beside me.

"They can't control us." He smirks at me.

"Why not?" I ask jokingly.

"Because we're Divergent."

><><><

Tobias and I stay on the train for a while. We talk, kiss, talk, and repeat. I think it's safe to say it has been the best night of my life. "Tobias," My head is on his shoulder as we look out at the night sky. "Yea?" I wait for him to look at me before speaking again. 

"Will you ever tell me how you got rid of Elanor?" He smirks. "Don't worry about that." He replies. "Why won't you tell me?" I press. He puts his hand on mine and looks into my eyes. "I love you, Tris" I know he's trying to change the subject on purpose but I drop it anyway. He will never tell me. I'm just going to have to accept it. "I love you too," I tell him. He touches his forehead to mine and closes his eyes. I wish this moment could never end.

I have no idea where we are going but as long as I'm with him I know I'm safe. As long as he's here everything will be alright. I can feel it.

A/N: LAST CHAPTER AHH! What am I going to write after this? what will I do with my free time? I don't have any more story ideas and I can't keep writing divergent fanfics. Anyway, I'll figure it out. The epilogue is out for this story so go read :) I think I'm gonna add a bonus chapter too. Maybe two? ;) stay tuned