Chapter 9

The best word to describe my life right now is messy. Just when I thought everything would get better it got worse. Marcus is mad at us, my mom is still in shock, Tobias hasn't spoken to me in 2 days, and I've been pretending to be sick to avoid work. I know now, I don't belong here. I'm not as selfless as I thought I was. At least not anymore.

My mother told me Marcus is getting kicked out for child abuse. He's going to be factionless now. That would be a good thing if it happened differently. I know Tobias didn't want me to tell anyone about Marcus but I felt so frustrated from Marcus controlling his life. There was nothing I could do, nothing I could plan to fix it. He kept winning and he doesn't deserve to win. I was frustrated and I just did the first thing that came to mind. I wish I could tell him but I know he won't talk to me. My mother comes into my room slowly. Her hand still holds the doorknob when she tells me the news. "Beatrice, Tobias is here." 

For a second I don't believe her. But when she opens the door fully there he is, Tobias Eaton. The only reason why my mother believed I was sick was that all the stress made me exhausted and my temperature levels were somehow very believable. Even if they weren't she would still let me rest. Out of pity.

Tobias walks in and my mom closes the door partially. Through the crack, I can see she walks downstairs anyway. She could be listening but I trust that she wouldn't. The expression Tobias wears is unreadable. He sits on the side of my bed and I sit up. I expect him to talk but for the 2 minutes he's been sitting by me he hasn't said even hello. "Are you here to talk or just stare at me? If it's the second one I just want you to know that I don't regret what I said and you can leave." His expression softens a little when I say that and I look away.

"I've been trying to figure out what to say." He doesn't speak again until I turn my head to look at him. Still not meeting his eyes. 

"I know you're confused, I am too. That's why I came here. Marcus was horrible to me. I know it's a good thing he's gone. But I never imagined it happening like this." I want to say something but I have no idea what.

 "At first I was mad but, I realized that I'm finally free. He can't control me now. I can finally make my own decisions." He searches my eyes for an answer and I wait for him to keep going. 

"I wanted you to apologize. I was going to come to ask for an apology. I told you not to tell anyone and you still told, in front of everyone." Where is this going? 

"When I was on my way here I passed by the place we met after the choosing ceremony and I thought about it again. You were right to tell her Tris. I should have noticed that sooner. I can't keep waiting for you to come to apologize when I owe one too." He stops for a second, waiting for my answer again. I cross my arms. 

"It's okay to be mad at me, but after I thought about it I went out and bought something for you, I talked to your parents and they approve. I can finally make my own decisions. This is the first decision I want to make." He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a grey box. I tear up. I already know what this is going to be without opening the box. I hug him as tight as I can and cry into his shoulder. It's finally coming together. For real now. 

"Tobias I can't believe this!" I say when we pull away. He gives me his biggest smile and I open the box. The ring is plain like it should be in abnegation, but it's still the most beautiful and special gift I have ever received. Just when I thought all the surprises were over Tobias tears up too. "Tobias you're crying!" I tell him and he wipes his tears away quickly. "I have no idea what you're talking about," I laugh. "Will you ever tell me how you got rid of Elanor?" I ask. He puts the ring on my finger and holds my hand. "I love you, Tris." I hug him again. I'll have to ask him later. "I love you too."

><><><

Christina notices my ring immediately. "OH MY GOD TRIS YOU'RE GETTING MARRIED YAY!" I cover my ears to block my hearing and everyone stares at me. "Oops," Christina says covering her mouth. "Christina!" I whisper shout. She holds my shoulders and jumps up and down. 

"Congrats," A guy comes up to us to shake my hand. I give Christina the death stare then nod at the boy. "Thank you," He nods back then turns to Christina, "Thanks for the announcement, the Dauntless say they want you." he chuckles and she rolls her eyes. "Tell them I said no thanks. You're the Erudite transfer, right? Will?" She asks. He gets red and my smile drops.

I have respect for him. After all the articles against our faction, he chose us. But it reminds me of Caleb, who left us for the enemy. 

"Yea," He scratches his neck and I sense his discomfort so I put a smile on again and tell him I respect him. It's a big move to leave Erudite for Abnegation. "I don't believe their articles. Erudite isn't what it used to be." He looks at his feet and before I say anything else I see Tobias. Christina continues to talk to him and I leave to go up to Tobias. He smiles at me. 

"Nice ring, Your mom gave me mine today." He holds up his hand to show the ring and I grin. "Come on, we're about to get to work, we met an Erudite transfer and Christina announced our engagement so loud the whole city probably heard it." I tell him. He laughs and we walk back over to Christina and Will.

A/N: Yay! The story is almost over :) I don't know what else to say but this is my last divergent fanfic. Just cuz it's my last story doesn't mean I won't continue being Divergent obsessed!! I saved a bunch of stories on my  'GOOD Divergent Fanfics' List so if you're looking for good reads go on there and try some of the books :) that's all, byee <4