Chapter 2

The next morning I wake up early so we can go collect the food to give out. We get it from the Amity the day before and then go to the factionless homes to give it out throughout the day. First, we meet in the Justice Building to get the boxes. I see Tobias there and wave when he looks in my direction. He looks focused so I don't think he noticed me.

I pick up the box nearest to me and then walk over to him purposely bumping into him. "Oops! I'm sorry are you ok?" I say sarcastically but quietly so I don't get lectured on my first day. Tobias jumps and his box almost falls from his strong arms. "Beatrice!" He gives me a scowl and picks up the cans he dropped from his box. "Should have known." He mumbles without dropping the scowl. I try my best not to laugh but I look goofy trying to hide my smile. "I got you. You're right though. How did you not guess I'd be here?" I ask. I mean, it's my mother's organization. "I didn't really think about it?" He says.

"When was the last time you smiled Tobias? You're so grumpy." I tease and cover my smile with the box in my hands. I catch his face making a scowl again. "You know, if you wanted to be a smart mouth you should have gone to Candor." His face goes back to his normal expressionless as he picks up another box. "That hurts. For your information, I'm only a "smart mouth" around you. Since you're so approachable. Like a bed of nails." With that comment, he has both his boxes in hand and walks out toward the exit without me. I hold my box in front of my face to cover my laugh. I have a feeling like annoying him is going to make my initiation a whole lot more enjoyable.

I try to find my mother because now that Tobias left I have no idea where to go. "Oh, Beatrice just go follow Tobias over there. He's been working here since he was your age. He knows exactly where to go." I nod and quickly catch up with Tobias.

Tobias is 18. His mother died when he was 15. After that, he told me he knew exactly what he wanted to do for a job. It has been 2 years since he volunteered here. I think if his mother hadn't died he might have chosen another faction. I'm glad he stayed though

><><><

Feeding the factionless was so much more enjoyable than I thought it would be. The people were so happy and thankful and I noticed how lucky I am to have food and shelter whenever I want. Tobias showed me where to go and what to do and after that, we didn't have much to do so I didn't talk to him for the rest of the day. I tried but he told me to stop following him and to figure it out on my own. Typical of him.

"So, how did you find your first day of community service Beatrice?" My mother asks at dinner. "A lot of fun. I enjoyed helping the factionless." I answer.

"That's great. I knew you would fit right in here." My father says. I'm glad they are proud of me. I go for a walk after dinner instead of before today and I have totally forgotten about Caleb. I've decided that he had a reason for his decision and still want him to be happy. I wish we were allowed to visit him.

The rest of my thoughts are positive though. I think about my day at the shelters and bringing smiles to people's faces. I'm also glad I got to talk to Tobias again. We rarely talked after his mother's death. He started volunteering and then after I guess he didn't feel like talking and then he was busy with a full-time job. It was a mess. Which is why it's nice to get to see him again. I can finally get to know him better. Maybe I'll understand the weird connection I've always felt toward him. The reason that I feel is the cause for us always finding each other again.

><><><

"You're an idiot." Tobias tells me. It's Friday now and tomorrow is our first day off. My mother will still be working half day. "Or I just like to bug you. And that was not very nice." I reply as I pick up two boxes of food. "We're Abnegation not Amity. Keep up." He rolls his eyes. "Plus, you're going to topple over if you hold that many boxes." I might be small but I squint at Tobias as if to test him then run to the exit. I don't even trip. "Did I topple?" I ask him and he just stares at me with his usual 'stare at me for another second and I will make you topple this time' expression.

The past week I've been wondering if maybe Tobias is Divergent too. When I try to fit him in a faction I find myself thinking he could fit into a few. That might not be the only thing Divergent is but I'll never know what Divergent actually is. Tori, the Dauntless woman who took my aptitude test, clearly isn't here to answer my questions

"You need to start being serious, Tris," Tris is Tobias' nickname for me. "You aren't going to get a job here if you act like that." He says and he looks seriously disappointed. "Sorry," I say. I understand I need to be serious about my faction now that I'm going to be a member. "I accept your apology. Let's get to work." Apparently Tobias is my personal trainer now.

><><><

I hand food to the factionless. Each thank you makes me feel like I accomplished something. "Miss, may I have that apple please?" A factionless man asks me. "Sure," I say and hand him an apple. I reach out to hand it to him and instead of grabbing the apple he grabs my hand. "Ow!" I say and drop the apple. I pull my arm but the man is strong. "You look young to be volunteering." He says and gives a sly smile. "I'm not young! I'm 16!" "Well you certainly don't look 16." At his comment I figure out exactly what I am going to do. I punch him in the nose and when his grip gets loose I grab the edge of my box and run as fast as I can.

I look back as I'm running and bump into someone. "I'm sorry-" I start to say but when I turn around to see who I bumped into I gasp.

Caleb.