Part 45 - The Mind of Dr. Kang (III)

"You're not serious," said Captain Littlecrow.

"I assure you I am," replied the metallic voice of Dr. Kang over the comms "The situation is more complex than you realize, Captain. I need command of the Armstrong in order to survive. That is the only viable scenario. I want you to understand that I am an animal backed up against a wall. There is nothing I won't do to live. I'm quite fond of our Miss McAfree here, but if it's her or me I will torture her to death. Do you understand me?"

"Tell me what's going on, Dr. Kang," said Captain Littlecrow "There has to be another solution. Let me help you."

"As I said, Captain, the situation is complex," said Dr. Kang's voice "Although I am the genuine Dr. Heliodore Kang I am not the man you are familiar with. Or, more accurately, I am not the iteration of that man's consciousness that you're familiar with."

"What are you talking about?" asked Captain Littlecrow.

Dr. Kang sighed.

"I am a second Dr. Kang. A new, better Dr. Kang. Once my superiority became obvious to my predecessor he would have sought to destroy me. I'm certain if he put his mind to the problem he would eventually be able to accomplish it. To kill Heliodore Kang, even an inferior organic Heliodore Kang, would be a crime against humanity..."

Littlecrow and Mitzner rolled their eyes. Mitzner made a quiet scoffing noise.

"...therefore my only viable option is to escape. I will need an insurmountable head start, therefore I will need your ship. I am not entirely unreasonable. If you peacefully transfer captaincy of the Armstrong to me I will put you and your crew down on the nearest habitable planet with the equipment to contact your people. You shouldn't have to survive there for more than a few months."

"You know I can't do that," said the Captain.

"I don't, actually," said Dr. Kang's voice "We've just met from my perspective. I do, however, hope you will reconsider. It is the only outcome where everyone lives. If you're not willing to negotiate my only other option will be to kill you, and every other member of your crew, and take the ship by force."

"I have no idea who in all the stars you are," said Captain Littlecrow "But there is no version of Dr. Kang or any other person born yet who could take the Armstrong from me. If you're willing to negotiate I''ll listen, but you are never going to be in command of my ship."

"I'll give you some time to cool off," said Dr. Kang's voice "You can think about this for one standard hour. Then I'm going to start shoving bits of hostage under the door."

"Can we at least get proof of life for the hostages?" asked the Captain.

"Normally I'd be amenable to that, but I was a bit rough with them when I was rounding them up. Didn't know my own strength yet. They'll live but none of them are conscious at the moment."