Part 24 - Alas, Babylon (VII)

"Between the two of us," observed McAfree "We're a pretty good cat burglar team. We'll have to remember that if this whole space explorer thing doesn't pan out."

McAfree had managed to deactivate the security system of the dress shop, while Mitzner had gotten them physical access to the building.

"Find something that fits," said Mitzner "And try to look for an outfit that there are multiples of. You want to look generic so you don't stand out."

"Clothes rules," said McAfree, dismissively.

Mitzner looked over the dresses on display. She would never admit it, especially to someone like McAfree, but she actually liked the Babylonian style of women's clothing. She would object to being forced to dress in that way on principle, but given that she could wear what liked she wouldn't mind a big ridiculous Babylonian dress.

A people could have horrible politics but great style. The two things aren't intrinsic.

"How do these things come off?" asked McAfree, tugging at a dress on a mannequin  "It looks like it was constructed around the statue."

"You've never worn anything that didn't come out of an autotailor, have you?" asked Mitzner.

"Of course not," said McAfree "What possible reason could I have for doing so? This is my first alien culture infiltration."

Her continued machinations with the dress caused the mannequin to tip over and fall, taking McAfree with it. She screamed.

"Keep it down," said Mitzner "Are you trying to get us caught?"

"I'm sure nobody heard me," said McAfree "What's one more scream in this awful city?"

She really is turning into Dr. Kang, thought Mitzner.

"Just... leave it," said Mitzner "I'll find you something to wear. You're like a child."

"You're old enough to be my mother," said McAfree, still under the mannequin "So I see how you might see my healthy scientific curiosity in that light."

Mitzner was actually old enough to be McAfree's grandmother, she just didn't show it. Her artificially enhanced lifespan slowed her aging process significantly. The two might have passed for sisters.

There was a thump noise, and then one of the interior doors of the dress shop swung open. An old man in his night clothes and carrying a large coil rifle came into view, menacing the two women with his weapon.

Mitzner had drawn both of her pistols the second the door opened, and had taken aim before the old man. By the time he pointed his coilgun at her she had her ion and plasma pistols leveled at him.

"Everybody stay calm," said Mitzner.

"Are we still foraging. or is this a robbery yet?" asked McAfree, from the ground.

"Nobody is getting robbed," said Mitzner "That's the rule. Stand the hell up and we'll back out of here slowly. Nobody gets hurt."

She was looking an the old man and nodding, trying to get him to nod back.

"Your accents," said the old man "You're those Huxley Foundation women they're looking for."

"Shoot him!" yelled McAfree "He knows shoot him now!"

"Nobody is getting shot," said Mitzner "Unless you yell something like that again, McAfree, in which case I will shoot you. We're going to back out of here, everybody lives."

"I didn't mean it that way," said the old man "I know what the Watch will do to you if they catch you. It's unconscionable. I'm guessing you need new clothes so that you don't attract the attention of every peacekeeper in the district the second they lay eyes on you? Why don't we all lower our weapons and we can talk about that."

Mitzner nodded and, slowly and cautiously, the two lowered their weapons to the ground.

"So," said the old man, helping McAfree to her feet "You will need dresses fine enough, but not too fine, such that you blend in. They should also be durable, and suitable for running and jumping. Ladies, I believe you chose the right man to rob."