Part 47 - The Mind of Dr. Kang (V)

McAfree opened her eyes, but had the wherewithal to quickly close them again. Her head was killing her and she was woozy, but she could piece together enough to know that she didn't want to draw the Kangbot's attention to herself.

From her brief glimpse she could see that she was still in the lab. The Kangbot was there, but she didn't think it saw her with her eyes open. She was lying down on one of Dr. Kang's examination tables, which McAfree happened to know had restraints. With as subtle movements as she could muster McAfree tested this theory, and found her hands and arms were held fast to the table. Fantastic.

"They're not dead, I assure you," said the Kangbot "They've simply been beaten into a state of unconsciousness. I was very precise."

"I'm not going to make a deal without proof of life," came the Captain's voice in return "There is no sense in stalling if they're dead."

"I told you that they're alive. They are. I understand it is difficult given the circumstances but you're going to have to trust me. If we're expected to negotiate that is a prerequisite. When one of them wakes you'll be the first to know."

McAfree decided that, whatever the circumstances, she didn't want the Captain thinking she was dead.

"This is McAfree and I'm alive, Captain, for the moment," she risked yelling, hoping her voice would get picked up by the Kangbot's voice link.

It was.

"There you are, then," said the Kangbot "She's alive. McAfree if I release your restraints you're not going to try anything stupid because you remember what happened last time, yes?"

McAfree frantically shook her head no, having immediately lost her nerve the minute the Kangbot's attention turned to her.

The Kangbot walked over to the table and pressed the release. The restraints slid away with a thunk. McAfree sat up and massaged her wrists.

"I'm going to need you to go verify for the Captain that Wagner and the other Dr. Kang are still alive," said the Kangbot, as much to Littlecrow as to McAfree.

McAfree slid off the table and went over to look at the other two. They were still breathing.

"They're both alive, Captain, but unconscious," she said.

"Now you know," said the Kangbot "And can adhere to your part of the bargain. Clear away your people and we can make the exchange."

* * *

"No way," said Mitzner "I'm not leaving."

"I don't recall soliciting your opinion," said Captain Littlecrow "That was an order. Everyone clear out. Commander Gibson has command until further notice. Assume any order I give in the presence of that thing in there to be under duress and defer to the Commander in all matters."

"Captain I feel I must also protest," said Commander Gibson.

"Assume," said the Captain "That I'm aware of the fact that everyone objects already and execute my orders. This is my decision and I've made it, end of discussion."

The others looked to Mitzner. If anyone was going to stand up to the Captain it would be her.

"I hope you know what you're doing," said Mitzner, and she turned around to leave. The rest of the crew followed behind her, as ordered.

"And you weapon?" asked the voice of Dr. Kang.

"Don't push your luck," said Captain Littlecrow "I'll disarm once I see the hostages."

"Fair enough," said the voice, and the door to the lab slid open. The smell was not pleasant.

The restraint tables had been set to hover and McAfree was standing in the doorway, one hand on each. In front of her was a grotesque mechanical humanoid that was apparently the source of the voice she had been negotiating with.

"Your weapon," it said.

Littlecrow threw it to the side.

The mechanical humanoid, the Kangbot or whatever it was, gave McAfree a small push on her back and she started walking forward. The Captain walked in the other direction towards the door. The two women locked eyes for a moment as they passed, and then it was over. The Captain was on the other side of the door as it closed shut again.