Part 10 - The Serfs of Al-Qaum (X)

"You can't just keep them aboard," Marlowe insisted, leaning across the Captain's desk and getting as far into her personal space as he dared.

"Do no presume to tell me what I can or cannot do on my own ship, Mr. Marlowe," said Captain Littlecrow "There is a penal colony not to far from here, across the border back into Foundation space. I'll take the prisoners there when I'm finished my business in this sector. They won't trouble you again."

"They're pirates, murderers and slavers," said Marlowe "They deserve death. You said so yourself that they were Hostis Humani Generis: enemies of all mankind."

"That doesn't mean I'm going to kill them in cold blood," said Captain Littlecrow.

"Al-Qaum law is very clear on the punishment for piracy. This is the law," said Marlowe.

"Then I suppose it's the good fortune of these pirates that they were captured by me instead," said the Captain "This disucssion is over. These men and women surrendered to me, and I will not see them harmed until they have a chance to stand trail for their crimes."

"TRIAL?" squeaked Marlowe.

"That will be all, Mr. Marlowe," said the Captain "If you have other matters to bring up I would be happy to discuss them with you, but my decision here is final. You can take it up with your people when we return to Al-Qaum."

Marlowe spun and marched out of the office, furious. Captain Littlecrow had little doubt that he would indeed bring this up with his people.

"Captain," came Ensign Marceaux's voice over the comms "We've arrived in orbit around Ceres."

"Good," said Littlecrow "See if you can contact Dr. Kang and his people and recall them. Don't take 'I can't hear you' for an answer this time, I want to drop Mr. Marlowe off at Al-Qaum as soon as possible so we can set a course for the penal colony and get these pirates off my ship."

"Aye, Captain," said the voice on the comms.

Littlecrow had a moment of respite to collect her thoughts. But only a moment.

Marceaux's voice came back on over the comms.

"Captain," he said "Dr. Kang received our message and is hailing us from the surface."

The tone in Marceaux's voice told Captain Littlecrow that Dr. Kang was up to something. She sighed.

"I'm on my way to the bridge," she said.

* * *

Dr. Kang was on the main screen, standing behind a haphazard collection of strange equipment, looking quite pleased with himself.

"Greetings, Captain," he said, when she stepped onto the bridge.

"What's going on?" asked the Captain.

"Turlin Marlowe isn't on the bridge, is he?" asked Dr. Kang.

"No..." said the Captain.

"A shame," said Dr. Kang "He might have wanted to hear this. In any event I've discovered an advanced pre-imperial city buried under Manticore. In fact I'm beginning to suspect it was originally and deliberately subterranean. It has some primitive matter/anti-matter reactors that I've helped repair and we're working on restoring some of the other systems. The city is so self contained it's like a starship. It's going to be quite the gem when it's finished."

"Mr. Marlowe never mentioned any of this to me," said the Captain.

"He wouldn't have known," said Dr. Kang "We were approached by a rebel group not long after he left. They're the ones who helped me get access to the city. They're surprisingly organized."

"Rebels? What rebels?" asked the Captain.

"They have a narrative about cultural heritage or some noise," said Dr. Kang "They're mostly interested in independence from Al-Qaum and self government. If they succeed they might even be a viable Foundation member world in a few years. I'm even helping them set up a tachyon relay station. Once it's operational we can use it to contact Mars and get clearance codes to get Manticore on the T-Net."

"You did this all acting on your own," said Captain Littlecrow "Do you realize the situation you've put us in?"

"Yes. There's a very real possibility that this will irreparably damage the Foundation's frosty relations with Al-Qaum. In exchange we have made significant inroads with a far more interesting world."

"Dr. Kang, I give you a great deal of leeway to do your work but this level of insubordination will not stand. You might have sabotaged all the delicate diplomatic work we've done here."

"How was I being insubordinate?" asked Dr. Kang "You left to go pirate hunting, leaving me as the highest ranking officer on the planet. I made a discretionary call to help the Manticoreans when they asked in keeping with our mandate to nurture and protect civilization out in the periphery. All very by-the-book. You're just upset because your ego is bruised."

"Dr. Kang, if you still consider yourself a member of this crew I demand you return to the ship immediately. Otherwise I will consider you to have abandoned your post and you will be left on Manticore to do all the scientific work you want."

"See what I mean?" said Dr. Kang "Bruised ego. If it makes you feel any better I'll come back to the ship. I needed to collect some materials for the tachyon relay station anyway. End transmission."

Captain Littlecrow glared at the main screen, which was now showing an image of Manticore in orbit around Ceres.

"Gibson, Mitzner, my office," said the Captain "Lieutenant Guildenstern you have the bridge. Keep me abreast of any developments, no matter how trivial."

"Aye, Captain," said Guildenstern.

The three senior officers retreated to the Captain's office.