Part 1 - The Serfs of Al-Qaum (I)

At the end of the Galactic Dark Age, after the close of the Reunification Wars, the Huxley Foundation was at last in control of the core worlds of the original Martian Empire. After centuries of chaos there was now a semblance of peace and stability within human space.

At the dawn of a new age for humanity, the Foundation had sent out a fleet of exploratory vessels into the periphery beyond the core worlds. Their mission: to defend human civilization in the periphery, and to reunite the lost human worlds under the banner of the Huxley Foundation through peace and friendship.

* * *

The Armstrong groaned and creaked as it dropped out of the tunnel dug through space-time by it's relativity drive. The starship reentered normal space in orbit of the planet Al-Qaum.

At the height of the galactic empire Al-Qaum had been the administrative center of the spinward wing of the empire, virtually a second capital. It was the obvious first place to start looking for humans in the periphery.

Captain Littlecrow had been on the bridge for some time, watching the view of Al-Qaum from the ship's bow on the main screen. Like the rest of her crew she wore the crisp new uniform, still gleaming white, of the Huxley Foundation exploration fleet. They had all worked hard to prove themselves worthy to wear these uniforms, and now was their first opportunity to demonstrate it.

"I'm detecting three Sultan-class starcruisers in orbit," said Ensign Marceaux at the operations console "They're altering course to intercept us. All three have brought their particle weapons online."

"That's Imperial-era technology, hundreds of years behind our own," said Commander Gibson, the First Officer. His youthful appearance was betrayed by the old war-era circuit tattoos on his palms. He only looked young because his body had been reconstructed from 60% cloned parts less than two years ago. He still hadn't properly broken it in.

"If they only had two starcruisers I'd say they didn't pose a threat," said Lieutenant Commander Mitzner, at the tactical console "But with three ships they might be able to produce enough concentrated fire to penetrate our shields. Although I anticipate we would still be victorious, it could get downright Phyrric."

"Let's not get ahead of ourselves," said the Captain "We're intruders in their territory, it's only natural that they take actions to defend themselves. We're going to have to make the first gesture. Broadcast the following on all frequencies:"

"This is Captain Alexandria Littlecrow of the Huxley Foundation Starship Armstrong. We come in peace."

"We're getting a reply via the Ansible," said Ensign Marceaux "Audio and video."

"On screen," said Captain Littlecrow.

A man appeared on the main screen in the command chair of the bridge of one of the Sultans. He was wearing an almost comically over-decorative military uniform in the style of the old galactic empire. His jacket was weighted down with medals and his military cap had five gold stars and a gold lion emblem that caused it to lean forward dangerously.

"Huxley Foundation Starship Armstrong, you are in violation of the territory of the Al-Qaum Star Empire," he said.

"We mean no offense," said Captain Littlecrow "We're here on a diplomatic mission on the behalf of the Huxley Foundation. Is there any way we could speak to your superiors?"

The uniformed man glared at his own viewscreen for a moment, trying to get the measure of Captain Littlecrow.

"Wait where you are for a moment," he said "If I detect you powering up your weapons I will destroy your ship."

"Understood," said Captain Littlecrow.

"End transmission," said the man, and the message cut out. The main screen automatically returned to the view from the bow.

"I think that might have actually gone well," said Lieutenant Commander Mitzner.

"What will we do if they refuse to see us?" asked Commander Gibson.

"Withdraw for now," said Captain Littlecrow "We're here to make friends, not enemies. The Foundation doesn't want another Nibiru incident."

"We're picking up an Ansible transmission," said Ensign Marceaux.

"On screen," said the Captain.

The same man as before reappeared on the main screen.

"Captain Littlecrow of the Huxley Foundation," he said "You are being granted audience with the Immortal God-Emperor of the Al-Qaum Star Empire, forever may he reign. You have clearance to send one shuttlecraft to the surface which may contain up to two additional members of your entourage, no more. There will be no negotiation on these terms, so decrees the Emperor."

"Very well," said the Captain "I'll make preparations and can be on the surface within the standard hour."

"Do not keep His Divine Celestial Eminence waiting. End Transmission,"

"What a charming culture they have," said Mitzner.

"Commander Gibson, you have the bridge," said Captain Littlecrow "Mitzner, you're with me. We'll take Dr. Kang with us and head down in the Apollo."

* * *

Dr. Heliodoro Kang, the Chief Science Officer, was in his lab interfacing with the other half of his brain. Dr. Kang had removed the entire right half of his brain to make room for a massive cyberbrain implant, the most radical cybernetic brain surgery ever performed. He kept the other half though, inside what amounted to a glorified jar, and he networked it with his brain whenever he really needed to think hard.

Dr. Kang could be off-putting to those not familiar with his idiosyncrasies, and also to those who were, but there was no one aboard the Armstrong more qualified to explain the benefits of Foundation technology.

"Dr. Kang?" came the Captain's voice over the comms.

"Yes?" asked the doctor tersely, without opening his eyes. He was pondering the great unanswered questions of the universe with his one and one half brains and hated being interrupted by his duties.

"Report to the shuttlebay. We're going down planetside. Dress nice, we'll be entreating with royalty," said the Captain.

Dr. Kang was, of course, not wearing his complete uniform. Dressing properly would have been a waste of his precious time.

"Acknowledged. I will need a standard hour to prepare," said Dr. Kang.

"You have 10 minutes," said the Captain.

"Acknowledged. Dr. Kang out."

He went back to his musing.

* * *

Forty five minutes after his conversation with Captain Littlecrow, Dr. Kang arrived at the shuttlebay in a wrinkled, unwashed, uniform. The trio boarded the Apollo, the modified lander shuttle that served as the Armstrong's Captain's Yacht and left for the surface of Al-Qaum.

In compliance with the planet's automated landing control the Apollo touched down in the private starport of the planet's Intergalactic Embassy. The fact that Al-Qaum possessed such a building was a very good sign, Captain Littlecrow decided.

The God-Emperor made the three wait in his receiving chamber for a little over three standard hours before he was ready to receive them. By the first hour of waiting Dr. Kang had become insufferably smug.