Part 46 - The Mind of Dr. Kang (IV)

Captain Littlecrow dropped herself into her chair, which groaned with the sudden weight. Gibson and Mitzner took the seats directly across from her desk, as usual.

"Thoughts?" asked the Captain.

"We obviously can't give that madman the Armstrong," said Gibson.

"We can't let him kill the hostages either," said Mitzner, more to Gibson than the Captain "McAfree isn't even Foundation, she's still a graduate student. She's just a kid."

"All of the hostages are real people with lives, yes, but the fact remains that we can't possibly allow a Magellan-class Star Cruiser to end up in the hands of a one man terrorist cell. I'm not saying we shouldn't do what we can to help the hostages, but our priority has to be to protect the ship," said Gibson.

"The ship isn't in any danger," said Mitzner "These people are. Our people. I don't know how they did things in Homeguard, but here in EF we don't ever leave a soldier behind."

"That's MF's jingoism. EF doesn't have soldiers," said Gibson "We're all explorers and diplomats. On occasion those get left behind."

"Is something about all this funny to you? Two good people and Dr. Kang are in danger for their lives."

Littlecrow had let this go on for longer than she usually would have, having been lost in thought and only half paying attention.

"Enough," she said "We're not throwing the hostages to the wolves but I will not, under any circumstances, surrender the Armstrong to whatever that Kang thing is. In the wrong hands it could depopulate worlds. I'm well aware that the two of you disagree, now what I need is a plan for getting our people out of there."

"According to the ship's diagnostic Dr. Kang's entire laboratory has been manually disconnected from our power web and the ship's computer," said Gibson "He must have some kind of generator in there powering all his own systems. This kind of undertaking would be no small feat, which leads me to believe that Dr. Kang, that is to say our Dr. Kang, did this himself weeks if not months ago. The Evil Dr. Kang is just taking advantage of it."

"Is that what we're calling him?" asked Mitzner "That sort of implies that our Dr. Kang isn't evil. I could melt through that door of his with a plasma caster in seconds, but if I have enough time to fire my weapon so would he. We'd have to be able to get in there without him noticing to be able to accomplish anything."

"I don't see force of any kind as a viable option," said Gibson "It would only serve to escalate the situation."

"So we negotiate," said the Captain.

Gibson gave her a puzzled look.

"Not for the ship," she said "There has to be a give and take. Whatever the thing we're dealing with is, it's a sapient of some kind. It has a right to exist. Based on what this new "Dr. Kang" told me it's only looking to survive. That's something I can work with so I'm willing to take it on faith for the moment."

"Captain, didn't you already try negotiation?" asked Mitzner.

"It's ongoing," replied Littlecrow "I just wanted to know if either of you had any better ideas."

"Are you worried, Captain, that the survival of this thing could be a threat to the future of humanity?" asked Gibson

"So could the survival of our Dr. Kang," said Littlecrow.

* * *

"Twenty minutes before the deadline," said the almost-voice of Dr. Kang "You must have something to offer me."

"You know I can't turn over the Armstrong to you," said Littlecrow.

She was just outside the door again, flanked on either side by Mitzner and Gibson. Behind her were a veritable non-squad of not-soldiers.

"It is the only scenario where everyone lives," said the voice of Dr. Kang "You do seem to have an irrational attachment to the lives of the insignificant."

"Actually yes, you insufferable bastard, I do have a universal respect for life. Which is why I am willing to tolerate your continued existence, whatever or whoever you are. That's why I'm willing to make you an offer. I have a number of landing shuttles. We could cannibalize one of the redundant subdrives from the Armstrong and outfit one of them with limited FTL capabilities. You will then be loosed among the stars to seek your own fortune while our Dr. Kang is stuck on the Armstrong shooting through a tunnel through space-time aimed in the opposite direction. Everybody lives, and humanity gets to benefit from both of your hyperinflated egos."

"You really expect me to believe you're just going to let me walk away?" asked the voice.

"Of course," said Captain Littlecrow "You know how much I irrationally value insignificant lives."

"And I suppose I'd have to release my hostages first?" asked the voice.

"Naturally," said Littlecrow "McAfree and Wagner are just kids, and Dr. Kang is useless to you as a hostage since you've made it clear you won't kill him."

"I would prefer not to kill him," corrected Dr. Kang's metallic voice "But I will if I need to. He is still a perfectly viable hostage."

"I think I can make you a better offer," said Littlecrow "You release McAfree, Wagner and whatever portions of the man we know as Heliodore Kang that don't comprise yourself, and I'll take their place. I'm certain with your knowledge of engineering and my familiarity with the ship we should be able to outfit a shuttle for you in less than a standard day."

"Bravo, Captain, very heroic," said the not-Kang "I accept your offer. Give the Lieutenant-Commander your weapon and have then have your people clear the deck. Once we're alone I'll open the door and we can make the 'exchange'."

"I'll agree to that once you prove that the hostages are still alive," said Captain Littlecrow.

"That might actually be a while..." said the voice.