Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Before I knew it, it was Thursday and I was up in the middle of the night to catch my plane. I would leave early in the morning. I had to be there before Mr. Hensley so I could prepare some things for him.
On the plane I decided to read in some so I would have less work when I would arrive.
Also I did everything not think about when me and Max would meet. I can't even think about how embarrassing that will be.

A few hours later I arrived at my hotel. This was the same hotel as where the meetings would take place. I checked myself in and went up to my room. I had just enough time to neatly hang my woman's suit into the small closet. That's when I had to go back to work.
There were so many papers to look at and contracts, halfway through the morning my eyes were almost burning out of their sockets. I needed some fresh air and a good latte macchiato.
I got up from the bed and put on my black stiletto's, grabbed my purse and walked out of my room.
I didn't actually know any good coffee shops around here so I decided to ask the receptionist at the hotel.
"Hi. Can I ask you something?", I said to the friendly looking lady behind the desk.
"Of course", she smiled politely.
"Do you know any good coffee shops? I'm not from around."
"Yes, there are a few. But my favorite is on East Olympic Boulevard. It's called The Beanie. They have great coffee", she said enthusiastic.
"Thank you!"
"You only need to walk straight ahead", she smiled.
"That's great, thanks again", I said to her and walked away.
It was hot outside and I wish I didn't had to look this formal.
But on the plus side, I had never been to L.A so being here was nice.
After not even ten minutes I found the spot.
It was a bright café, there were a lot of big windows and they had a nice terrace on the front. The lovely smell of coffee greeted me even before I had entered the place. When I saw they had chocolate cake too I thought I died and went to heaven!
After I placed my order I went back outside and found a nice place in the shade. Looking around, I saw a few shops across the street. Too bad I didn't had time to shop now.
When the waitress served my latte and chocolate cake (which smelled so delicious!), my phone started to ring.
It was Mr. Hensley, he was almost at the hotel and needed me to show him the preparations I had done. He also wanted to see the contracts that I had been going through.
Quickly as I could I ate my cake and drank my coffee. I hated that I couldn't enjoy it as much as I wanted. That's also part of the job I have.
When I arrived at the hotel I saw Mr. Hensley waiting in the lobby, reading his paper.
"Ah Mira there you are! Do you have everything?", he asked folding the newspaper and putting it on the table next to him.
"Yes sir. If you have a minute I will get them from my room."
He said he'd be waiting for me in the conference room.
The doors from the elevator opened and quick as I could I looked for my key that was somewhere hidden in my purse.
"Miss Prasad."
It was like I was shot with an arrow. I had goose bumps everywhere when I heard that voice. It shot right through me.
I was standing in front of my door, ready to open it.
As in slow motion I turned around to face two bright blue eyes, staring at me. A half smile on his face, Max leaned against the wall.
All suited up, black shiny shoes and his dark hair done neatly.
Exactly how I was used to see him.
It took me a while before I could press some words out of my mouth.
Or actually the only thing that came out was 'hi'.
Then I opened my door and slammed it shut. I leaned against it, breathing heavy.
"Okay, Mira. Get it together. You knew you would see him here. Now get those documents and go downstairs."
I took a deep breath and then rushed to get the documents Mr. Hensley asked me for.
My head peaked out the door a little to see if he was still there but he was gone. A sigh of relief left my mouth.
"Excuse me, Mira. I need to take this. It's Mr. Woods."
Mr. Hensley walked out of the room with his phone to his ear.
When he came back he smiled at me.
"What's going on?", I asked him looking suspicious. He never smiled for no reason. Mr. Hensley was a very serious man.
He took a seat again, I wished he started talking. My curiosity killed me!
"Mr. Woods wants you to join us for dinner tonight."
It was so silent after he spoke out those words, I could hear my heart beat loud and clear. I needed to come up with a good excuse not to go.
"Oh and you need a nice dress. Do you have any with you?", he said like I already agreed to coming along.
"But..wait..", I stuttered. "Mr. Hensley, I am very tired and tomorrow is going to be a long day. I think I just want to stay in my hotel room."
The words came out hesitating, as I was not sure if he would allow me not to come with him.
"Mira, I really want you to come and so does Mr. Woods. I think it can be good for this deal. Maybe he will do more projects with us", he said to convince me to come.
"Sir, I don't even have a dress." I saw how bad he wanted me to come, but I totally didn't feel like it.
"That should not be a problem", he said. "Mr. Woods told me if you didn't had one he would deliver one."
I sighed, knowing I would not be able to skip this one. Inside I got a little mad too, I think Max did this on purpose.
"Mira?", he interrupted my thoughts.
"I'm sorry sir. I'll come with you", I answered polite.
"Good. Thank you. I will let Mr. Woods know that he needs to deliver a dress to you."
Then he walked out of the room to make that call. I stayed there, thinking about how to survive this evening.
It took us another hour to get through everything.
"I'll meet you in the lobby at eight, okay?", he said before I left the elevator. I smiled and nod my head in agreement.
Time for a nice shower! I was exhausted and the L.A. heat made me sweat like crazy. Not to mention my brief meeting with Max.
Just when I was finished I heard a knock on my door and someone yelling room service.
I put on the bathrobe and opened the door.
"Delivery from Mr. Woods", the man said as he handed me a black bag.
"Thank you", I gave him a tip and shut the door.
I put the bag next to my bed and went back to the bathroom to dry blow my hair. Golden eye shadow enlightened my dark brown eyes. I wanted to keep it simple so I only put on mascara and a pastel red lip gloss. I tied my thick hair in to a perfect bun. I didn't brought any jewelry with me so I didn't need to worry about that.
When I was done I took a seat at the bed. I stared at the bag next to it. It looked very expensive. Something inside me felt resentment to look into it.
After a few minutes I picked up the bag and placed it onto the bed. My hands went in and pulled out a gorgeous silk red dress. I don't think I had ever wore such a beautiful gown. I put it on the bed, when my eye caught an envelope and a jewelry box in the bag too.
I got them out and placed the jewelry box on my lap.