51

Spencer's footsteps sounded too loud in the empty hallway, he trips slightly over them. The anxiety in his chest made his sweaty hands grip the strap to his bag tighter. He got closer and finally reached the door to the office.

Jason Gideon

Was written in thick lettering on a plac, the solid wood seemed to tower over the gangly man. He took a deep breath then raised his knuckle and knocked.

"Come in!" The gruff voice on the other side was familiar, Spencer had been in Gideon's classes before, that's where the senior met the student and how they ended up making this meeting. Spencer pushed the door open, automatically ducking his head in a nervous habit when he entered the room.

"Spencer Reid?" The older man asked, standing up. He held his hand out to shake but Spencer waved briefly.

"Sorry, i uh-"

"It's alright, handshaking is overrated" Gideon smiled, trying to sooth the younger man.

"Actually, only about 5% of people wash their hands correctly. That means, 95% of the time you will be potentially exposed to all types of nasty germs including fecal matter and E. coli" Spencer trailed off, his face getting warm.

"Good to know" Gideon huffs a laugh, whipping his own hands on his jeans like that was going to clean off that information. Gideon sits back down and gestures for Reid to also sit.

"So why are you here?"

"Uh, im sorry" Spencer's chest started to beat faster, "i thought, I thought we had a meeting to discuss me joining the BAU"

"Yes, and why?"

"Why?"

"Why do you want to join the BAU?"

"Uh-"

"How old are you?" Spencer was getting whiplash from all the jumping around Gideon was doing.

"21"

"Ok, 21, and you're smart, you could be doing anything, why do you want to be in the BAU?"

"I need to help people"

Gideon just smiles, and Spencer finds himself relaxing a little.

"You're in the academy right now?"

"Almost done," Spencer replies, twisting his bag strap in his hands. "Not doing so great on the physical exams" He huffs, heat crawling up his neck.

"That's ok, we can get those waived" Gideon says with a wave of his hand, as if it was really that easy.

"What?" Spencer felt his eyes widen, his waist bending slightly as he leaned forward. This couldn't be that easy, he had been stressing about how all of this could've been a waste just because he's not in the best physical shape.

"Yea, we've been keeping an eye on you, we need your brain"

"Thank you" He breathed, his chest constricted with a new anxiety, this was becoming more real.

"Can't wait to have you on the team Dr. Reid" Gideon smiles, the Dr. added to his name sends a shock through Reids system.

"You do have several doctorates correct? " Gideon smirks, noticing the change in Spencer's mood.

"Three, and three Bacherlors," Spencer says softly.

"Ok then" Gideon leans forward, "make sure people know that" Gideon winks at Spencer and the younger man doesn't know how to react to the motion. "You earned those, your brilliant, your allowed to show that off"

Spencer felt his lips curl into a smile, his chest twisting until the burning gave way to the feeling of yellow.

He could do this, this would work.